How is the new force touchpad for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sofakng, Jun 1, 2015.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

Does anybody have any experience using the new force touchpad for gaming?

I was wondering about RTS games that have you click, or click-and-drag a lot. The old touchpad could only be pressed towards the bottom of the pad, but since the new one can be "pressed" anywhere, it seems like it would make gaming a little bit easier?

I normally use tap-to-click (instead of pressing the touchpad down), but it doesn't seem to work in all games.

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Oh, good question.
    I'd like to hear if the Force Touch makes a difference while gaming as well!

3. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

For click and drag, Apple has had a three finger hold function that does the same as click and drag. I assume most OS X games support this functionality (at least on the Mac App Store). Have you tried that? Ars mentioned on their Macbook Pro 13" 2015 review that they did encounter a few issues with click and drag being recognized as a force click.

4. Studflower macrumors member

You play RTS games on a trackpad???

Why not just get a mouse?

5. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I use to play League of Legends with my old 2012 rMBP quite well (made it to Gold with a trackpad), - while force touch is great for most tasks, it's much worse when it comes to gaming. No depth, which leads to two-finger and single clicks becoming finnicky and overall just sucks tbh.

I got a gaming mouse (G502) and suggest you do the same.

For games that don't require a lot of fast/precision clicking, it's fine.

6. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Seems like I'll be keeping my trusty old, loud-as-all-hell mouse at the ready.
    ...I hate that pustulous peripheral.