How is the portability of the Macbook PRO 15"??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kp98072, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kp98072 macrumors member

I need to decide in a few days between the MP alum and the MBP alum. My concern is: How tough will it be to use on the plane? How portable will it be, much difference than the MB? I would use it sitting on the couch, at starbucks and in hospitals....mainly it would be at home but i have a trip once or so per week.. Anyone out there who has the MBP 15" with advice is much appreciated:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

By far the best notebook I've ever ever EVER owned. Great battery life, powerful processors and sexy design. You will not regret your purchase, just make sure you take good care of it. A clean/healthy macbookpro, is a happy macbookpro

3. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

4. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

It's not the sweet-spot for portability, but its pretty darn close.

A better processor and dedicated graphics separate it from the macbook in that it CAN replace your desktop if you so wish.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

The campus I go to is pretty huge and I walk a considerable amount of distance every day, and I carry the 15" MBP everywhere with a couple of folders. I try not to carry textbooks with me. It doesn't feel very heavy, I've been doing this for almost a year every single schoolday now.

6. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

it is like carrying around 2 quarters of gallon of milk.

7. ehlfg macrumors newbie

I have a 15" MBP, and it's fine in terms of portability. It's quite usable on a plane. If the seat pitch is tight and the person in front does a substantial recline, I sometimes do have to adjust the screen angle to avoid hitting the seat with the top of the screen. But otherwise it's fine.

I also do have a 13" MBA, which I find much more portable and easier to use on an airplane. I haven't used a MB, but I suspect it isn't too far off from the MBA in terms of width and height.

8. SamNeeds macrumors regular

I haven't had a chance to use it on the go (i.e. on a plane, car, bus etc) but at the office and at home I'm very impressed by the overall feel and general build of the Alu MBP. Put it this way, it's alot stronger than any previous Macbook or Macbook Pro.

9. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

I've had MBP for a little under 2 years and would highly recommend it.

I carry it to and from work five days a week and take it on business trips a couple of times a year. Really is a tough a powerful machine, and has allowed me to get much more work (and play) done.

That said, I would say its essential to get Applecare. The DVD drive on mine failed after about 18 months, and the the fans started making a clicking noise soon after. Applecare replaced them no problem.

The battery on mine is now starting give out - getting only 45 mins battery time! So, I'm off to get that replaced under Applecare as well.

10. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

I've been using the MBA for more than a year and recently switched to the 15" MBP. Of course the MBP is not as portable as the MBA but for what the $$ I'd suggest getting MBP instead of MB. You get a better CPU, a dedicated GPU, 2GB of ram and a bigger AND better screen. It's not really that heavy comparing to the MBA too.

11. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I just recently used my MBP on a plain, and it fits nicely on the tray thing. Using a macbook would have been easier, but the MBP is definitely worth it. I carry it around from class to class and it is never too heavy.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

You can't beat the regular Macbook for portability. The 15" Macbook Pro is no portable laptop. It is nice sitting at home or in the office at work but I would hate to travel with this laptop because it is freakin huge. The screen at night is excellent though.

Something I just noticed tonight though is that my screen is dimming or flickering when I move my laptop or adjust the screen position :eek:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Doesn't matter if you're in a hospital --- as employee, patient, or visitor --- because you'll have no problem using it in any of those places. I don't see why you would. :confused: I've used it at a hospital, and I was fine. I have my own desk though.....

Starbucks? No problem, but if you're sitting at one of those small round tables you'd typically find at cafés, it will take up most of the width of the table. That means it may be difficult to keep your coffee beside your laptop. If you're sitting at a mid-sized table or large table, then you're OK. Personally, I don't keep my coffee beside my laptop anyway because I'm afraid of tipping it and spilling it. Instead, my coffee is sitting behind my laptop, but at the side so that I can still see it. In its place, I have a pen and little notebook for writing down notes. With a 15" MBP, it won't always be possible to do this. I'd have to make sure I'm not sitting at a small table. A 13" MB is just right for pretty much any table you'd find at a Starbucks. I've been to Starbucks plenty of times with my MB. I may even do so later today. ;)

On an airplane? You'd have trouble. The 13" MB is the best Mac for use on an airplane. It's even better than my old 12" PowerBook because it isn't as tall, and so I can tilt the screen back enough to see the screen, as long as the typical passenger is sitting in front of me (reclining the seat by a typical amount). I've flown hundreds of times with my laptop, on a dozen airlines or so, and so I have some idea. :) The 15" MBP is too tall. You can definitely use it on an airplane, but it'll definitely be awkward.

I don't know about 1st or Business class though.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's very light and portable. I usually carry 2 laptops around, so every bit counts. Sure the MacBook was a lot lighter, but the MacBook Por is just as good.