How is the quality of Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sargent bannana, Jul 3, 2008.

1. sargent bannana macrumors member

I have recently posted about switching to mac and everyone suggested refurb. I never buy anything used or refurb if there is much of a diffrence. Its just because i LOVE new stuff. I love the whole unboxing experience (call me weird)
    :)

I just wanted to know how Refurbed is diffrent than new besides the fact that it was used before. Like is it scratched dented just not as good as buying new etc...

Is it in the nice apple packaging or is it sum brown box?

Does it come with stickers? (it better or i will be greatly depressed)

Does refurb last as long?

sorry for all the questions lol just a little curious.
    thank you
    -George:apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. bamaworks macrumors 6502

As far as product quality goes, it is excellent in my experience, no different than a brand new item.

4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Well its the same quality, you just dont get the authentic box, in some cases you can, my friend actually did.

I have an iPod refurb still working years later, my friend brought a refurb macbook and that still works and they both came in mint condition

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well the products will have been with someone else before you got them.

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

I thought they were from different shop stores, not ones that people have sent back, they come from shop displays etc

7. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I'm a believer in buying Apple refurbs. They have the same warranty and every one I have either purchase (personal & work) or seen from someone else have been pristine. My MBP had a date just a few weeks earlier than my purchase day. Mine have come in drab cardboard boxes with the words Apple Refurbished on them. I can handle that for the savings and the machine within (how often do you transport your computer in the original box)? I think my laptop came with a sticker, but I haven't done anything w/ it.

I wouldn't really worry about seconds. It's not like you're buying from goodwill (though I do that too). It's for all intensive purposes a new machine.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah the warranty would be the only thing that would deter me from buying refurbished, but Apple offers the same warranty for new or refrub items, so whenever possible I buy refurb. Especially for iPods it is AWESOME!

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

What do you think :apple: does with defective products people send back? They replace exterior parts and fix what needs to be fixed, run all the necessary tests then sell it as Refurbished. Actually sometimes you can get new unopened merchandise that was surplus, though not at the refurb rate anymore. You can tell the ones that are new because they have no "Was:, You Save:" price description.

10. viggen61 macrumors 6502

I've had a perfect record with refurbs from Apple. My first one was my G4 (Digital Audio). Still cooking, though upgraded (1.5 GB, 1.2 GHz), six or seven years later. Next was my 4th gen iPod, which got replaced with a new unit under AppleCare. Then I bought an AirPort Extreme base station (the original round one), and, most recently, my MBP.

The biggest difference is they come in plain brown wrappers (at least all of mine have), and may - MAY have minor cosmetic imperfections.

But I recommend them, as long as you don't need to live on the "bleeding edge" of Apple's hardware.

Have a Great 4th!

:apple::apple:

11. oacory macrumors regular

Configuration

The only real difference that I know of is that you can't configure them how you want. You just take what is already configured and they are selling.

12. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

Yup, comes in "sum brown box."
    Other than that, in my experience, indistinguishable from brand-spanking-untouched new. I have a flawless (no scratches, no dents, no fingermarks, no inner weirdnesses) refurb iMac 24". I'll buy refurb again.

13. ck37 macrumors newbie

if it is a refurb of the current line chances of coming in the original box are good.

I'm a believer in it, because Apple does a thourough check of the computer, recases it if needed etc. New computers don't go through those tests reallly. lso you have the same return policy warranty as a brand new.

Save some money go for it. Wont be dissatisfied.

14. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Refurbs are actually pretty awesome. I have gone through a few ipods, recommended them to friends, and had a refurb macbook (I'm a student so usualy buying w/ BTS discount ends up being a better deal for me). They are actually tested (unlike new hardware) until they meet standards (which I must admit I am not familiar with.

They are both returns and displays and usually you can find good deals. Bonus upgrades also enhance value but I always looked at them as a bonus, not an expectation.

15. jcoop macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I've bought three refurb iPods over the years, and each has been as new except for the brown box. I would have gone the refurb route when I got my iMac last year, except I wanted an upgraded hard drive. Apple's refurb are great.

16. PLin macrumors 6502

I think the only refurb I've seen gives you the same unboxing experience is the MacBook. I bought one that had basically the same box as a new one except that the box was all white with no pictures on it. All of the other refurbs I've purchased have generic boxes.

That said, refurbs may have even better reliability than new Macs. By the time the refurbs are available, Apple probably figured out why repairs were necessary and have tweaked the components. If you buy new, you might be getting one that has been sitting in a warehouse for months with older parts.

17. McGiord, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

For some products a refurbished one is sometimes better than new in stock, many times you get the latest upgrades and fixes to avoid "warranty issues".
    Anyway the people in the factory will always test them and touch them before anyone, same thing with the cars and trucks, so SAVE MONEY AND BUY REFURBISHED FROM :apple:STORE= 100% RECOMMENDED.
    ________
    buy mflb

18. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Been there, done that...... many many times........ neveranottaproblemo :eek: