iPhone 11 Pro How is the screen durability these days?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I haven't owned a new phone since the iPhone 6 Plus, which I found to be very durable. In fact mine somehow still looks great.

Have heard a lot of anecdotal stories and seen some 8/X/XS phones that were absolutely littered with microscratches so I'm wondering if I need to install a tempered glass protector to my 11 Pro when it arrives.

I've also read some concerns that the protector will pull the coating off the screen, so if I don't like the tempered glass then I might have to deal with that.

I'd greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
I find newer iPhones scratch more easily than they used to, because the focus has been on making them break less and not scratch less. Could also just be because they are bigger. But if you don't like micro scratches, get a screen protector.

Reactions: johnyslats

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well, my SE is still on its first screen, even after I dropped it off of a ladder onto concrete, out a car door, etc...

My wife's X seems to have had a broken screen more often than not. Dog pulled her and it fell off the stroller? Broken screen. Dropped off the kitchen counter? Broken screen. Her last 3 replacement screens from Apple lasted about a month, each. Mind you, she keeps it in an otterbox case too.

We eventually got her a Pixel 3a, which worked fine until my 1 year old decided to grab it from my wife's hand and throw it on the ground.

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
With our family the only damaged screen was on an iphone 7 when my daughter dropped it. Of course she's dropped it a million times but it only broke the one time. She's still dropping it.
None of the other phones have so much as a scratch. And we don't use screen protectors on any of them. Just cases.

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Well, my SE is still on its first screen, even after I dropped it off of a ladder onto concrete, out a car door, etc...

My wife's X seems to have had a broken screen more often than not. Dog pulled her and it fell off the stroller? Broken screen. Dropped off the kitchen counter? Broken screen. Her last 3 replacement screens from Apple lasted about a month, each. Mind you, she keeps it in an otterbox case too.

We eventually got her a Pixel 3a, which worked fine until my 1 year old decided to grab it from my wife's hand and throw it on the ground.
Your wife needs a screen protector. My kids throw my wife's phone all over the place, breaks a ton of screen protectors but never the screen.