Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It totally depends on the router and the certain iPod touch model. I can sit in the living room, about 15 metres away, and still have a full Wi Fi indicator on my 2nd gen touch. On my 1st gen (both of them, one was a replacement from Apple) I'd be lucky to have even 1 bar on the indicator in the same spot.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
dont expect as strong as a computer, but damn i was impressed.

My wifi only drops out when im in my room and the door is closed, but im all the way on the opposite side of the house.

mrdurdenad

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
It does depend on the router and other factors. But I do notice that my Imac gets significantly better reception than my 2G touch (detects more routers). I'd say after about 50ft from my router, I loose signal with my Touch, I do live in a house with thick concrete walls though. But in general, i'd say that the signal reception in comparison, is not as good as other devices like laptops or desktops, but it's not horrible. Oh and the signal meter is kind of quirky. In my experience, if you find a signal it generally reads 1 or 2 bars, then when you connect it jumps up to 3, and sometimes changes from 3 to 1 and back every once in a while (if your kind of far from the router). I tested others at the apple store and they seemed to behave just like mine, from what i could see.
Heres a thread that talks about it as well:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/58640-ipod-touch-wifi-sensitivity.html

Hope this was of some help

Adrian D

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
to be fair, a touch doesnt have nearly the resources for wifi when compared to an actual computer

but for its size its damn impressive.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I am sitting about 10 Inches away from my wireless and the signal is full! But other wise i can go about 15 Meters and still have 2 out of 3 bars of signal

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yea, I have the 1st gen and I can go to the other side of the house and still have 2 bars. not strong as a computer but for its size, its very very impressive.

N

natezire71

With my 1st Generation iPod Touch, in my room(the router is in the basement; I'm on the top floor outta 3), and it got 1 bar, sometimes none.

Now, with my 2nd Generation iPod Touch, I get full reception. Its great. :p

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
I know you can use the little WiFi icon itself to check signal quality but could someone recommend:

A) a signal strength app to measure a little more accurately?

B) an app for checking for local networks?

Cheers :)

And in reply to the O/P, I live in a well built, old fashioned brick house- my Router is at the front of the house, upstairs on the right and I can get good signal strength downstairs, at the back and on the left! It's only the free Router you get with Be* broadband too, so I'm well pleased with that.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I have a Netgear wireless G router and under a desk and I can get two bars after walking outside and into another building, about 50 feet away. But this is with my second 2nd gen touch. My first 2nd gen couldn't even see the router that far away. I think the first one was defective. I'm thoroughly impressed with this one.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I know you can use the little WiFi icon itself to check signal quality but could someone recommend:

A) a signal strength app to measure a little more accurately?

B) an app for checking for local networks?

Cheers :)

And in reply to the O/P, I live in a well built, old fashioned brick house- my Router is at the front of the house, upstairs on the right and I can get good signal strength downstairs, at the back and on the left! It's only the free Router you get with Be* broadband too, so I'm well pleased with that.

You could use Speedtest, an app that tests the speed of the connection; the speed is directly related to the connection distance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.