how is this done?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by eishbru, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. eishbru macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2010
    I saw this music video:

    and I have no idea how it is done, moving shapes that hold a video sequence..

    any help would be great, thanks in advance
  2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020


    Apr 16, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Which NLE (non-linear editing) application are you using?

    This can be done by animating an inverted shape mask over video and then laying the resulting masked video over the main video. Final Cut for example, has some rudimentary plug-ins for accomplishing effects like this. However, it's much easier (and more flexible) to use a motion graphics application like Motion or After Effects to do this.
  3. eishbru thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2010
    well... at the moment I am using SonyVegas Pro :eek:

    but am getting my macbook pro in two weeks and will follow with either the adobe suite or FCS.

    Do you figure the animated mask layers animated with Motion?
    Alternatively, what FCP plug-ins are used?

    I am trying to find information and/or tutorials on google but no dice.

    Any help is greatly appreciated
  4. eishbru thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2010
    In your opinion, would it be best to use Adobe suite and make the animation in Flash and work from there...?
    Or, will motion allow me to make an animation similar to the one in that music video?

    Once the animation is done, is it quite simple to bring the vector into the editing suite, and convert it to a mask and go from there?

Share This Page