How is this possible on the iPad? (NFL-related)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lioncrazz, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Lioncrazz macrumors member

Today it was reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would be putting their playbooks on the iPad and going paperless. I think this is just awesome, but I was wondering, how does everyone think this is going to be done? What app will be used to make this happen?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Most likely not an App from the App Store ... probably an App they created themselves ... NFL Teams are stinking rich :cool:

3. PaulWog Suspended

Exactly.

Besides, hiring a programmer (or a few... or a firm that contracts itself out) isn't too difficult.

The iPad isn't too difficult to program for when it comes to a lot of different functional apps. Things can get complex (especially games, or apps that require huge amounts of efficiency in code), but you get the idea... :)

4. Krandor macrumors 6502

They could just save the playbook in something like PDF format and use any of the available PDF readers.

5. kalex macrumors 65816

There is an app in the app store that does this. But I'm sure they will hire someone to do custom work for them

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this is exactly it. I do it with sheet music. Just save it as a PDF and load it into iBooks, good to go

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

iPads as playbooks are the future of football. I'm a former college football player. One of my teammates and I got together with a developer last year to discuss building an app dedicated to building play books and allowing them to be shared with players and updated simultaneously. Something came up, but the developer was very excited about the project. I wish my circumstances were different and that I could meet a new developer because this idea will eventually take off. It just has to be done right. I could very well see Apple and the right app being a main stay with college and pro level teams much in the same way as Apple and pro tools is in the recording world.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

When will they be allowed in the huddle?:D

9. AceCoolie macrumors regular

So, say they hire someone to write a custom app for them. Since it won't be submitted to the App store, how is it installed on each iPad? While I'm a software engineer, I don't do anything Mac so I'm not sure of the process.

If someone is developing an app for iOS, I assume they install the SDK and IDE on their Mac. After that is done, I assume they can test their app in an emulator in the IDE as well as install it on the device itself. Can any device be connected to their Mac and they can install their app on it? Does the device have to be in some sort of debug mode? Is it tied to their developer account? If someone could describe the process, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

LOL. Future of football on the sidelines and in meeting rooms.

11. Lioncrazz thread starter macrumors member

That is exactly what I was wondering! I figured they hired a developer or a whole team of developers but whats the process after that?

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I doubt they will just load PDFs into iBooks as those would be super easy to email out. Its going to have to be more secure than that.

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Hmm, good question. Makes sense though. Those things are thick. It could just be PDF.

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

They would have an Enterprise account and would be provisioning the app to the iPads at a Techs desk, plugging them in before giving them to players.

It'll be best to search for an apple pdf called iPhones and Enterprise (or something along those lines) and you'll get all of the info you need.

15. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

hiring a developer and installing them on the ipads is a task that a multi billion dollar industry is expected to do

16. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

they can put a password on the pdf, and having it easy to email is good so they can get it to the players asap. you guys are seriously thinking way too much

17. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I put my playbook into a pdf format and used my iPad during camp when doing playbook related work