HOW is this possible????

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Apr 25, 2010.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

So I just restored my iphone 3gs as a NEW iphone today....

After I got everything up and running again (rejailbroke via blackra1n on 3.1.2) I SSH'd into my phone and reinstalled the file for sbrotator 1.3.6 and then opened Winterboard to select "sbrotator background".......I thought I'd have to reset what background I wanted to use with the application but it automatically choose what I had as a background the last time I used the app.

How is that possible, when I set up from a new iphone on iTunes??

Just wondering, thought it was weird.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mindgames macrumors member

this might be a similar situation to me. I restored my 3gs in itunes as a new phone and still had my font swap font installed on my "stock", not jailbroken firmware....i believe this happens because you really didnt "completely" restore the iphone. If you go into DFU mode, then u can completely restore the iphone...but doing a restore in itunes leaves some files the same...considering there are multiple partitions in the iphone storage...if im saying this correct...:confused:

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think you are right. Depending on how you restore it, not everything is deleted. Long ago when I jailbroke on a 1.x firmware, I installed a numeric battery thing. Long after I restored, my battery kept the ability to be displayed as a number (I think in later firmware revisions this became an Apple supported thing)

4. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

WOW I'm glad someone had a similar experience, I thought I was going nuts! lol

When I restored from new I put the phone into recovery mode first and then hit shift/restore and loaded 3.1.2 via iTunes.

This makes me a bit nervous now because if I ever wanted to do an exchange with Apple I always thought restoring from NEW would wipe out everything that a jailbreak alters/modifies.

I know by turning off your phone and waiting 5 seconds before plugging it into iTunes (while holding the home button) will put the phone into recovery mode, but how would I do a DFU mode restore??

Thanks for all the comments guys! Have a great day.

5. Mindgames macrumors member

DFU mode is accomplished by holding ur power button for 10 seconds, release the power button and hold the home button. If you are in DFU mode you will see nothing displayed on the screen, if you see the itunes icon with the usb cable then u are in recovery mode. I remember i restored my phone to return it back to apple and i think i had the battery percentage still and i was a bit nervous.....but the "mac idiot" at the genius bar didnt even notice it....noob

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks Mindgames, you're awesome!

7. Mindgames macrumors member

no prob big guy!