Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
From the Engadget review of the iPhone 4:

"In fact, we managed to squeeze more than 38 hours -- yes, 38 hours -- of life out of a single charge using the phone as we normally would. We're talking calls, some gaming, lots of push email and calendar invites, playing music over Bluetooth in the car, and just general testing (like downloading new apps, rearranging icons, tweaking settings). We went from 10:30AM on a Saturday morning till 1:00AM on Monday without needing to charge the phone"

I am NOWHERE near this ! I have about 4 hours of usage and 11 hours of standby and i'm at 45% right now. How did engadget get this much life out of their iPhone 4? I don't get it.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
I believe 15 hours of normal use is the maxmum charge according to Apple, and that is under the best circumstances. I have not heard that or read that from Engadget, but if they claim that, they are pulling that number out of their ass.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
From the Engadget review of the iPhone 4:

"In fact, we managed to squeeze more than 38 hours -- yes, 38 hours -- of life out of a single charge using the phone as we normally would. We're talking calls, some gaming, lots of push email and calendar invites, playing music over Bluetooth in the car, and just general testing (like downloading new apps, rearranging icons, tweaking settings). We went from 10:30AM on a Saturday morning till 1:00AM on Monday without needing to charge the phone"

I am NOWHERE near this ! I have about 4 hours of usage and 11 hours of standby and i'm at 45% right now. How did engadget get this much life out of their iPhone 4? I don't get it.

I haven't charged my phone for a full day. But it doesn't see THAT much use.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
guys that is nothing, they are INCLUDING standby time. They didnt get 38 hours of usage time, that would be impossible.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008

Well, you are currently at 15 hours on that charge, and 45% battery remaining. If you double that you're near 30 hours. Then you have to consider that they may have had the brightness set lower than you do. The brightness is easily one of the biggest factors when it comes to battery life.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I think the standby time also includes usage. The reason i say this is becuase i'm now at 12 hours standby and i literally took my phone off the charger 12 hours ago.

I still think my battery life seems weaker compared to other users on macrumors..

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Hmm - here's a snapshot of my screen from earlier today.

75% after 9 hours use. That's 9 hours of iPod and an hour of iBooks (I know that adds up to 10, but I read while listening), some surfing, Exchange email and Gmail accounts getting email. No calls, WiFi off, location service on, bluetooth off.

Attachments

• photo-1.PNG
    photo-1.PNG
    111.2 KB · Views: 43
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.