How is this possibly being sold at this price?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andalusia, Oct 28, 2009.

1. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It could be stolen.

Also with that amount of professional software on it, it can only be some kind of dirty business. Ask if the licenses come with the buy.
    And maybe ask for the serial number of the machine, if you're interested, so you can check if it's stolen. See, how the seller reacts.

That machine should be worth 3000GBP with that specs and software titles and licenses.

3. andalusia thread starter macrumors 68030

andalusia

I never actually even considered this, but now I'm pretty much sure that's what it is.

I'll find out if I can get the serial from the seller. How do I check if it's stolen after that?

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

send an email to apple might do the trick with the serial number, n say that you found it for sale on craigslist, they should be able to do the rest.

Or you can contact the website where the sale is being hosted.. :)
    Good luck
    PTP

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's craigslist - is DEFINITELY a scam.

Once the transaction takes place the seller will have £400 but you'll have a concussion.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Why does it matter for 400, still pretty dam good.:D

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple couldn't give a care in the world regarding a hot box. Apple is notorious for not caring for stolen property unless it's THEIR stolen property; that's why powermax has their stolen serial database.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

so obviously a scam. Probably would want you to send them money too. The installed software is obviously pirated - no one includes a legit copy of CS4 at that price.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, Apple won't do anything. This is how it will go:

AppleCare Agent: Can I start by getting your serial number, name and number please?
    You: serial number is...
    AppleCare Agent: (*sees that it was lost/stolen*) how may I help you?

10. Tharian macrumors regular

And how is Apple supposed to keep track of which products are stolen vs. which ones are given away/handed down/sold to others?

If anyone has an answer to that question, I'd very much like to hear it.

-d

11. moka macrumors 6502a

hmm, well maybe if your computer was stolen, you report it to apple and they note it down under that serial number, and maybe if so maybe you gave it away there wont me a note that it was a stolen mac...???

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

100% legit ...

Their "friend" in Nigeria who is there and needs the money for a plane ticket home will send it to you and soon as you wire the funds.

13. Tharian macrumors regular

Ok. Then I'll sell my macbook online and then report it as stolen!

It does suck that Apple doesn't track lost and stolen products, but really there is no way they can realistically police them.

-d

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They can't which is why they don't involve themselves with stolen/lost Apple products. That customer would have to go talk to the police. Even if they did call AppleCare, all the agent does it log it in the notes but even if the thief or whoever found the product and calls in, that agent doesn't even acknowledge it - Apple supports the product, not the person.

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since you're in the UK, once you contact them, they will say they just moved to the US and will have to ship it through that escrow TNT service :rolleyes:

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

exactly the way scammers work. Never even consider buying via Craigslist unless you can see it in person.