How is this Web Page taking over Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mr.light, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mr.light macrumors 6502

I was not sure where to post this so I am trying here. This is the second time this has happened and I am unsure as to what is happening. Ok... here is what is happening:

Cruising a variety of sights in Safari, suddenly, 1)Safari minimizes into a small window in the lower left of the screen; 2) a dialog box opens up warning of Data loss. Options are Cancel and OK. When you choose cancel Safari goes to another website claiming to scan your computer then tells you you must install. Naturally I close the window to ignore it, then 4) another box similar to the first one opens. It has no option except OK. No way to cancel. I am forced to Force quit Safari to get rid of it.

Any ideas? I have included screen shots.

Attached Files:

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Do you have this option selected?

Attached Files:

3. mr.light thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously folks. Is this just a pop up or is this an attempt to get me to load something nasty onto my computer?:(

pop ups are turned off.

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Not necessarily... but you might want to wait more than 6 minutes.

Don't know exactly what evil technology is controlling Safari here, but I would suggest two things:

1) Stop visiting the site. Any site evil or stupid enough to try this trick is unlikely to have any useful information. Go surf somewhere else.

2) You're safe anyway. The evil malware it's trying to get you to install will be for the Windows masses, not us Mac elite.

SL

EDIT: Try disabling Javascript.

5. mr.light thread starter macrumors 6502

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Neither pose an issue for me. But it's possibly some malicious code in an advert on one of those pages. If so then someone might notice and fix it soon enough. I remember there was a similar incident on Amazon.co.uk a few months back.

Ah, ok. You're still probably safe though. If this is successful OS X malware-in-the-wild then it'd only be the 2nd or 3rd time I've ever heard of it - ever.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, get that about once a week.

A PITA to get rid off.

8. mr.light thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I will keep a closer eye on which of these sites I was visiting next time this happens (if it happens). It was very disconcerting. Most concerning was the need to force quit just to get out. Hopefully it is nothing.

9. mr.light thread starter macrumors 6502

So it's just a PITA that does no real damage? Good to hear.
    I double checked my fire wall settings and found it was off. Turned it on and triggered the site again (going through History) and this time it didn't take over. It didn't read my system this time either.

Panic over now. I feel much better.