How is typing on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dudeman486, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Dudeman486 macrumors member

Is the virtual keyboard big enough? Perhaps not for heavy-duty word processing, but how about for instant messaging or on-the-fly editing?

What is the best way to type? Portrait or landscape? Thumbs like the iPhone, or 5-fingered like a Mac? Any tips/tricks/strategies for getting the highest wpm out of the device?

Long story short, share your typing experiences!

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

It takes some getting used to, but it's definitely not as bad as I thought that it would be.

3. cdesigns macrumors 6502

Is very good and fast, much better than my acer one netbook

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'm typing on it now. Like said it takes getting use to, but it's coming along better than i thought.

No comparison to a full size but you can be accurate and also type at a decent speed.

5. thaprofessor33 macrumors member

Typing is excellent on it. Just hold your hands over the keyboard like a real one. The keyboard is very accurate. I am typing this on it now and it took me about a minute 30 sec. :D

6. FlashHead macrumors regular

I've never been a good thumb typer, but am quite a good touch typer. In landscape mode I was immediately typing at about 80 percent of my normal speed. The only caveat is that I had to look at the keyboard while typing. I think I will get used to it and get even better, but in my line of work I need to keep my eyes on something else while typing, so a bluetooth keyboard will be a welcome accessory. For everything else, the on screen keyboard will be absolutely fine.

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I like it very much, much better than the iPhone!

8. dulaney22 macrumors regular

Typing is much easier than I expected. It's really not much different except I am using 8 instead of 10 fingers to type. I can't imagine serious processing but for internet and email it is more than suitable.

9. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Agreed. I got used to it after about 10 minutes in landscape mode. I had fewer mistakes than I do on my netbook's tiny keyboard.

10. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

Its not bad, I do prefer landscape for typing. I have gotten used to it enough to where I think I could type a page long document quick enough to make it bearable.

11. mac-slap-happy macrumors member

I'm 90 wpm on a computer, and about 45 so far on the iPad. I expect that will go up once I have more time on the device.

12. phillyred79 macrumors regular

It works.. May not be perfect for some but such is the state of current touch technology.

13. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I type faster on my iPhone for sure. To hold hands over u must have small hands

14. Noisemaker Guest

Well, portrait is harder, but landscape is great.

I expected a huge learning curve, but after getting it, there's barely any. You'll have to adjust slightly if you're used to a certain sized keyboard now (I code on my 13" MB, so I'm VERY used to it's keyboard), but other than that, it's great. Very responsive, great setup, and very accurate.

Typing is a non-issue on it.

15. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I think it will take some time getting used to, but even know since typing my last message I have my wireless keyboard dock and typing like a mad dog. I do wish a pointer option came with it to move a mouse around. If that happens it would take into outer space for me and the icing on the cake. Right now have it in the case angled up typing on the wireless keyboard as stated. In a pinch the on screen keyboard works and Im sure will get used to it. Not a fan of it at the moment however.

When typing on the IPhone I just use my thumbs and that is very very fast.

Oh yes and now the pain to hit submit reply key to send this.