How is web site text on the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Dec 29, 2013.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

How does the Retina screen adjust text on various web sites? I was looking at a Windows computer whit a high res screen, and some text on various sites was very small, while good on others.

Does the rMBP do a better job of adjusting text, or is it normal for text on these newer high res screens to be all over the place?

Thank you

2. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Text looks great. Since the screen resolution is technically shown at 1440x900 (I have mine at 1680x1050), web pages look like they would on a normal MacBook screen, but since there's doubles the pixels, text is super crisp and any graphics or pictures that are uploaded in Retina quality look fantastic.

Like on the page right now, text looks completely clear. No pixels visible. And it doesn't look all over the place.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It's not a merit of MBPr, but of OS X. But it does fairly well and is user adjustable.
    PS I run mine at virtual resolution of 1680x1050, one notch above "Best for Retina":

Attached Files:

4. onemustfall macrumors member

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What exactly? The text or the screenshot?

6. onemustfall macrumors member

Text mate. I would make the font smaller if I could...

7. leman macrumors 604

The physical sizes of the text is the same as with non-retina models with the same base resolution. Software recognises the rMBP as running 1440x900, 1680x1050 etc., simply each of those logical pixels is backed by 2x2 pixel grid. This is why the text looks much sharper on retina - because its rendered at a subpixel precision where the subpixels are actually proper screen pixels. Confusing? Look here for a good explanation:

https://developer.apple.com/library...al/HighResolutionOSX/Explained/Explained.html

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I C!
    I don't want to strain my eyes! I spend so much time looking at these letters.

9. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

It's perfect for me!! It's crisp and makes browsing this and any other website an enjoyable experience.

10. tigerintank macrumors regular

I run my 13" at 1680x1050 and id say that only very occasionally do i experience a problem.

When I do, i'll be reading down a page and there'll be a section where the text is noticeably smaller than the rest, so that I have to focus to read.

Pretty much in the same way i have to do if i switch to 1920x1200 (i use the RDM app)

since it happens so infrequently i ignore it and just enjoy the rest of the time with the improved screen estate

11. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

On Windows it's terrible at retina resolutions. On the Mac the text will look roughly the same size as on an older non retina Macbook Pro, just much clearer.

In other words Windows handles it horribly and the Mac handles it the way it should be done.