How is Windows 7 RC1 on a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

EDIT:if I use a replacement disc with a code that I've already used to be the 2nd OS on a MBP, will Microsoft's servers know? I'm positive that I can upgrade from this disc to Windows 7(and once I upgrade, I won't be flagged for using an invalid copy, almost as if the source Windows is lost), but I want to know if I can use the disc in the first place.

People will tell you that you're buying a MBP for the OSX, but I still want Windows 7 on it so that I can run Windows programs in the future. How will RC1 compare to the real version? Will it be noticeably faster, will there be any new features? I also hear that RC1 expires in Summer 2010 and that it will start shutting down your computer every 2 hours and whatnot. Will it mess up your MBP if you're on OSX (as in it will only send you that shutdown message if you're on Windows 7). I may or may not get Parallels or Fusion (which is better?), but running it on bootcamp is fine with me as well.

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'm running Windows 7 on my MBP and I have no issues. There are a lot of upgrades and updates from Vista, almost all for the better. The RC will expire in 2010, but Microsoft anticipates that would have purchased a version of Windows 7 by then.

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

WAIT, can I just buy a Windows 7 Upgrade (for $50) now and use that on the RC build and I'll have Windows 7 no problem? That would be perfect, then I don't have to worry about spending $200 to buy the real version. Though I need to buy the upgrade soon since the $50 deal expires in 3 days! Does BestBuy sell the upgrade preorder in stores, because I have some gift cards for BestBuy that I wouldn't mind using.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

^^Yep

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Parallels. Period.:)

6. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright man, I'm trusting you on this! I'm going to download RC1 on my laptop incase the download goes away by the time I actually get a MBP. I'm still having 2nd thoughts about the MBP, I mean I'll mainly be doing web browsing, typing notes/papers, iTunes, maybe some iLife, but I think it should be a good investment, it is $1200 but I should like it, I just hope it has good durability like everyone else says.

Quick question though: I looked at a Cnet video, do I have to install something called Virtuabox, or do I just run RC on bootcamp, and when I get the Windows 7 upgrade disc, I load up the MBP onto the RC, put in the upgrade disc, and I'll have both OSX and Windows 7 (the real thing)? If I want to use Parallels in the future but already have a version of Windows 7 on bootcamp, can it easily pick Windows 7 up, or do I have to reinstall it?

7. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

To your original question: it works like a dream (well, some issues, but whatever)

To the CNET thing: you don't need virtualbox if you're going to run it as a separate partition. Virtualbox is a free alternative to Parallels/VMWare with less features and stuff.

Also, when W7 comes out for real, you'll need an install DVD (full or upgrade) and you'll have to re-install.

EDIT: If you're going to use an upgrade, and if it works like Vista's upgrade system, you'll need to make sure you do a clean install and "leave the key at home" :p (it's a euphemism)

My suggestion: make an image of your computer (use the windows backup center in W7 RC1) and when you install again from the DVD, you can wipe your partition without any problems and you'll be able to restore from the image. I dunno if that still gives you the RC or it takes you to the final version, but if that doesn't work, just make a regular backup and go from there.

8. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Are you guys sure that he'll be able to use a Windows 7 upgrade disc to upgrade from RC1 down the road - even if choosing to do a clean install? I've read that Microsoft will NOT support an upgrade from RC. Whether it works or not is a different story, but someone had to come up with a hack to allow Windows 7 Beta > RC upgrades as Microsoft was trying to force people to uninstall Beta first.

I just don't want the OP to be out the cost of the upgrade disc if it doesn't work.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

C'mon dude, you know you can't that. That's not an upgrade going from the RC to the full version using just the upgrade disc. The upgrade disc is for people who have a Vista computer. The RC is just for beta testers. The upgrade disc will not upgrade the RC to the full retail, it won't work no matter which way you try it. MS isn't that nice. Anyone using the RC has to buy the full $200 copy.

10. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for telling me about the RC incompatability with the upgrade, I would have been screwed! What about this:

I have a Microsoft Vista SP2 replacement disc (with a 25 digit code) that Microsoft sent me when my PC crashed. I have already used this disc on my Acer laptop. I could use this same disc as the 2nd OS on my MBP and THEN upgrade it, but don't Microsoft's servers keep bugging you saying that your 25 digit code has already been used? I've heard of a few people saying they've done it and they haven't been bothered (and once I upgrade to Windows 7 it won't matter, I doubt they can track it), but I also understand that I need to call Microsoft and have them deactivate the code on my PC laptop so that I can use the code on the MBP, right? Am I then allowed to use Vista on my Acer then if that 25 digit code is given to another computer? This stinks, I have to decide all this soon if I'm getting a MBP soon and knowing whether this will work because I want to buy the $50 upgrade before July 11th when it goes back to $100.

11. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone? I need to know this soon, if I use a replacement disc with a code that I've already used, will Microsoft's servers know? I'm positive that I can upgrade from this disc (and once I upgrade, I won't be flagged for using an invalid copy, almost as if the source Windows is lost), but I want to know if I can use the disc in the first place.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Until someone can give you a valid answer (because I can't) you can still order both the W7 upgrade and the full version. MS will not charge your credit card anyway until it ships which will be in October. If you can use your disc, cancel the full version, if you can't use it keep the full version or cancel both.

Also, you're posting this in the Macbook Pro forum. At this point this is really a "Windows" question and it should be placed in the Windows forum, you'll probably get a better answer. The MBP forum is for the MacBook Pro and Mac OS X users.

13. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

True, the MBP is mostly about OSX, but I'm sure a lot of people here have Windows, so maybe someone might know. I have a giftcard for BestBuy that I can use to preorder the $50 upgrade though I don't know if I can cancel it from there. I'll call them today, but first thing's first, I need to buy the MBP! If it doesn't work, I can always use the RC1 until I get enough money ( I mean I already have the money, but I don't want to spend like $2000 so quickly when the notebook only costs $1200 without tax before I buy $200 Windows 7, $120 Tax, shipping, and other software like Parallels and what not.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, not to start a debate but a Mac is ALL about Mac OS X. Macs are powerful and useful machines because they can run virtually any OS but it's still a Mac OS computer which is why the keyboard and all functions are designed to be used with the Mac OS only.
    At any rate I have to ask, based on your posts so far, I'm curious if you are truly going to use this MBP as a Windows machine? If so, it's really the wrong machine to buy. Running Windows on a Mac is just a convenience to bridge gaps for people who are switching to the Mac OS and need Windows to run 1 or 2 programs.
    Apple's drivers for Windows won't give you a truly comfortable Windows experience and it's not surprising given you're not really using a physical Windows machine. The trackpad has issues, battery life suffers greatly, heat rises quickly and the Mac OS functions will not be in Windows such as the ambient light sensor or trackpad gestures.
    If you are going to use Windows more than the Mac OS, get a physical Windows machine. It will take the guesswork on what you're trying to do. Just my 2 cents.

15. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Well said. I plan on using the OSX for all web browsing, iTunes, iLife, etc. I was thinking about using Windows so that I can use Microsoft Office on it. You might know, but how is Microsoft Office on the OSX? I hear that the Windows version is better, but I could be wrong. But I mean yea there are a few programs on Windows which I might use, and incase my college requires me to download any windows programs, but I'd probably end up using the OSX more since web browsing will be safer since OSX can't be infected by viruses. I know there are alternatives like OpenOffice and GoogleDocs, but I just prefer Microsoft Office.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, sounds like you're a good candidate for Mac.:) Funny, MS Office was on the Mac platform first, long before Windows. Still there are Mac first, Mac only features in the Mac version of MS Office however the Windows version is better in terms of being able to handle Visual Basic macros. The Mac version doesn't. The Windows version of Office has quicker launch times and a better UI but overall not worth installing Windows just to use it unless you really need access to macros. But since you're going to use Windows for a few other things and if you haven't bought anything yet, it's good to buy the Windows version although the Mac version is pretty good for the most part. For maximum compatibility MS Office will be better over the 3rd party alternatives. Apple's iWork isn't too shabby either.
    Again, I don't know about the Windows disc you have but since it's not illegal or against any EULA to install Windows on Mac then I'm recommending you call Microsoft and ask how to go about this so you can get W7.

17. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thing is, I have a copy of Microsoft Office with one more code on it for Windows, so I might be better off with the Windows version, I just thought that the Mac version might have something special on it. I'll look into iWork, but I also might be better off using Parallels if I'm going to use Office extensviely. Thanks for all your help, hopefully I can pull the trigger soon, just need to do a little more research and then I'll be good.

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'm certain it's possible.

OP, PM'ed.