How is Windows defined? Do you regard it as the default platform?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by damiengolding, May 23, 2012.

1. damiengolding, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

damiengolding macrumors newbie

Hi, I am quite new to the forums, but this is not a complete newbie question.:)
    The issue I have is Windows seems to be the default in the operating system world.

I work for a software company creating a Web browser in Japan.
    A lot of my time is taken up trying to find information, and find sites to promote it. Finding sites for Mac, iPhone, Android, etc. is so easy. Just type in "Mac software", "iPhone apps", "Android forums" and you get exactly what you want.

However for Windows, it just seems like there is nothing Windows specific. I have a lot of trouble finding communities, download sites, anything specific to Windows.

So my question in the title is asking what is Windows defined as, as from my searches, it just seems like the default.
    It honestly wastes so much of my time that I have nearly given up with the Windows version:p

What do people think?

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Welcome to the forum.

Wait a second, you work for a software company and you don't know what Windows is? Remind me not to invest money with your company. :p Or maybe you're an intern? Still, how does somebody grow up in 21st century Japan without knowing what Windows is? Just curious.

There are plenty of Windows forums, just look at the MS website. Or search for "windows 7 forum" on google (no quotes).

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think you forgot to put the link in your sig, because you can't be serious. :D

4. GMTGuy macrumors newbie

As others have said there are tons of forums that focus on windows, including specific windows versions. As a programmer and as a user anytime I needed help it didn't take long to find an answer usually. Granted if win8 is anything like the dev/consumer preview my guess is more and more are gonna switch to mac.

5. damiengolding thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yes there are forums that focus specifically on Windows, but for general people who use Windows, they don't differentiate between Windows and other platforms. Where as users of Mac, iPhone, Android or just smartphones have more specific sites for them such as "Mac", "Apple", "Android", "App" based forums, downloads, reviews etc., there doesn't seem to be this for Windows.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the feeling I get from hours of searching for information.
    Searching for Windows forums, software, downloads, applications, reviews, or anything rarely provides any decent results, but the same for Mac, smartphone, iOS, iphone, Android, etc., provides many useful sites.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are truly searching for information you will need to ask a more specific and meaningful question

7. damiengolding thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my post.
    I know what Windows is, just not how it is defined.

From my experience, I have noticed there is little focus on the "Windows" part of Windows related software, etc.
    Maybe there is less pride in Windows for users of Windows compared with Apple and on other platforms.
    I will check out the Windows 7 forum and other specific Windows communities, but I am assuming they are more development and support oriented, correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your help.

----------

Hi, sorry, I used a vague title to get people thinking - a method often used in writing. I thought it was clear in the post what I meant, but maybe I need to add more information, especially because most people haven't done the work I do, and so can not understand what I am talking about.

If you search for standard keywords such as "software downloads", "application reviews", "freeware downloads", "software reviews", "software forums" and include specific platform keywords such as "Mac", "iPhone" etc., a number of useful sites appear in the results, however when inputting "Windows" there are usually very few useful sites.

8. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I see like we have sub forums for iPhone iPad and mac there isn't one for windows 7 windows 8 etc.
    Although PC advisor is a good website too.