How is windows on the mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Chilaha, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Chilaha macrumors member

How good is windows on the mac? If I want to just play windows games can i use only virtual box or wine. Or do I need more to play windows games on my mac?
    Thanks Chilaha

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your options are as follows:

Use boot camp to boot directly into windows and that will give you the best performance.

Use virtualization software, performance will be subpar to booting directing into windows. With Parallels, you'll get some decent performance

Use cross-over (wine) but compatibility is a huge issue.

3. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

+1
    IMHO Mac runs Windows better than windows based pc's.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Definitely go the bootcamp route if you're going to be gaming. I know people will say that Windows runs fine in a virtual machine but I find it to be sluggish enough to be annoying on basic tasks.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As the others have said, in general you want Boot Camp (i.e. native Windows) for best performance. Most modern games are taxing and will run best this way.

However, one thing maflynn didn't point out was that Boot Camp and Virtualization are not mutually exclusive. All three major VM solutions will allow you to boot your pre-installed Boot Camp installation as Virtual Machine.

There are generally some compromises that come with this, but you get the best of both worlds. Native speeds when you need them, Virtualization when you don't.

B

6. Chilaha thread starter macrumors member