Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chilaha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
How good is windows on the mac? If I want to just play windows games can i use only virtual box or wine. Or do I need more to play windows games on my mac?
Thanks Chilaha

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your options are as follows:

Use boot camp to boot directly into windows and that will give you the best performance.

Use virtualization software, performance will be subpar to booting directing into windows. With Parallels, you'll get some decent performance

Use cross-over (wine) but compatibility is a huge issue.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
As the others have said, in general you want Boot Camp (i.e. native Windows) for best performance. Most modern games are taxing and will run best this way.

However, one thing maflynn didn't point out was that Boot Camp and Virtualization are not mutually exclusive. All three major VM solutions will allow you to boot your pre-installed Boot Camp installation as Virtual Machine.

There are generally some compromises that come with this, but you get the best of both worlds. Native speeds when you need them, Virtualization when you don't.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.