Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_MutenRoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
As the title says, I have reading many problems with 5K iMac display.

How is your holding up? Any problems?

Don't know if I'll wait till 2018 for the new redesign and new screen as this is getting some problems..

Thank you!

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
2017 5k i7 4.2GHz with the 512 SSD. Have had it since early June and is in use daily. Gorgeous, vivid, elegant, flawless, quiet, fast.

The_MutenRoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
All right, maybe I'm going to buy the 2017 and forget the 2018. Its too far, near 1 year left for the new version... Thank you!

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
2014 3.5 Ghz i5 1GB Fusion m290x. It's holding up fine.

I have the exact same model. Bought it Nov 2014. The fusion drive speed is annoying when the drive fills up(gotta use external drives) but the computer hardware wise has been almost flawless. No issues with screen.

garysauctions

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Marvellous.

Anything you read on the 'net take with a grain of salt as too many trolls use forums etc.

Yeah troll from both ends of the spectrum ...... haters gonna always hate ...... fanboys gonna always love.

Somewhere in between the truth lurks!

It sucks because we just had a massive lightning strike that partially damage my 27" Mid-2011 Quad Core i7 iMac.

She still work, but in a limited capacity so I must replace her.

If I can find an extra $1K I might just bump myself up to a Mac Pro.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
2017 27" i7 32GB Ram 1TB SSD is running fine. Sorting out an external drive and second monitor for it. Really wish you could buy an Apple iMac monitor.

tozz

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2014
As the title says, I have reading many problems with 5K iMac display.

How is your holding up? Any problems?

Don't know if I'll wait till 2018 for the new redesign and new screen as this is getting some problems..

Thank you!
Most people don't see temperature differences, brightness uniformity issues or tinting and they're in a world of bliss (I myself am tone deaf, I can't hear if someone sings out of tune if my life depended on it, same thing, different input). The iMac is a consumer device and there's zero effort being put into screen quality, which is expected, if you don't see any problems, don't go look for them. I'm overly sensitive to things like this so my iMac 2017 purchase has been a nightmare.
Ask yourself if you have a history of being annoyed with bad screens, if not, just go for it, you'll be fine :)

Edit:
As a side note, you should always remember (I have forgotten this myself many times) that the cost of the screen is included in the cheapest version of the iMac, considering that you're really not paying much for it and that's why it's hard to get a really good one (still possible). You're not getting any better screen on the higher tier or maxed out configurations.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Don't know if I'll wait till 2018 for the new redesign and new screen as this is getting some problems.

Just a side note, there have been issues with a percentage of iMac screens for the life of the model. So 2018 won't be any different if they update it.

If you want a perfect 27" screen, you'll need to buy a professionally-calibrated one like the Eizo ColorEdge CG277. Just note you'll pay as much for the display as you will for a mid-level iMac 5K.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
If you want a perfect 27" screen, you'll need to buy a professionally-calibrated one like the Eizo ColorEdge CG277. Just note you'll pay as much for the display as you will for a mid-level iMac 5K.

There is no such thing as a perfect screen, even from NEC and Eizo.

Among consumer machines, I'd love for the serial returners/whiners (why they even bother buying a Mac to begin with I don't understand) to name one that has a higher quality screen than the 2017 iMac. I'm quite sensitive to uniformity and tinting problems.

Some people just seem to get a thrill out of buying and returning things and posting whining complaints about it on user forums.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Among consumer machines, I'd love for (folks )to name one that has a higher quality screen than the 2017 iMac. I'm quite sensitive to uniformity and tinting problems.

It seems to come down to the belief that because they're paying thousands, they expect perfection and as you noted, even the displays that cost as much as an iMac are not perfect, hence why they have self-calibration tools built into them. :)

LG manufacturers millions of 5K panels a year so there is going to be fluctuation in their quality control across the production run.

Reactions: SaSaSushi

Vistan

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
In early July, I fired up my new 27" iMac base model with 8 GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. About a week later, I installed two 8GB sticks of RAM, which increased the memory to 24GB. I used the Crucial CT8G4SF824A modules since the Crucial modules specifically recommended by Crucial for the new iMac were not available. Several posts in this thread indicated that the 824A modules would work fine, and they did. About a week later, I began to get various shutdown messages for processes, programs and the computer itself. Over the past weekend, the shutdowns suddenly increased in frequency. Finally, the iMac refused to startup. Following several hours of phone troubleshooting with Apple tech support, they advised me that it was a hardware problem and that I should exchange it at an Apple Store.

Now, I have a new iMac coming next week. Same configuration. I'm a little afraid to install the Crucial modules in case they were the cause of the problems with the first iMac. Comments? Advice? Recommendations? How can I verify that the modules are OK?

I now have a new 27" iMac with the identical configuration. I have not yet tried installing the sticks of Crucial 8GB RAM... maybe over the weekend, I'll put them in and run memtest86 as was recommended in the added memory thread further down this page.

tozz

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2014
...hence why they have self-calibration tools built into them. :)
That's not why they have calibration tools...
There is no such thing as a perfect screen, even from NEC and Eizo.

Among consumer machines, I'd love for the serial returners/whiners (why they even bother buying a Mac to begin with I don't understand) to name one that has a higher quality screen than the 2017 iMac. I'm quite sensitive to uniformity and tinting problems.

Some people just seem to get a thrill out of buying and returning things and posting whining complaints about it on user forums.
My Dell 2516 and 2515 were significantly better displays. Lower resolution, sure, but uniformity, temperature differences etc were all far above my current iMac. The exception is my second iMac, it had a backlight that was more controlled than even my Eizo monitor back in the day, truly a magnificent example (uniformity, tint etc were all terrible though).

Buying a Mac is a pretty reasonable thing to do if you want to run macOS and the only desktop machine Apple is currently offering that isn't a kick in the face is the iMac.

Btw, you can be less of an ass about people using their customer rights and wanting as good as a product as they can get.

Last edited:

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
... The iMac is a consumer device and there's zero effort being put into screen quality, which is expected, if you don't see any problems, don't go look for them...
I would really question your statement. I believe that Apple indeed put a lot of effort into the screen, of course with target audiences and price points in mind, but the result is excellent.

See also this review on Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7399/...review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display/5

Further, if you read many many other laptop/all-in-one reviews, very few can even remotely match the display quality of the iMac.

Its certainly not an EIZO, but its very good. I put an 2013 27" iMac against my Benq W2700PT graphics display which is individually calibrated ex factory and on can be hardware calibrated by the user. The only faint difference I can spot is the uniformity of illumination, but that's it.

Magnus

Reactions: SaSaSushi

tozz

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2014
I would really question your statement. I believe that Apple indeed put a lot of effort into the screen, of course with target audiences and price points in mind, but the result is excellent.

See also this review on Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7399/...review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display/5

Further, if you read many many other laptop/all-in-one reviews, very few can even remotely match the display quality of the iMac.

Its certainly not an EIZO, but its very good. I put an 2013 27" iMac against my Benq W2700PT graphics display which is individually calibrated ex factory and on can be hardware calibrated by the user. The only faint difference I can spot is the uniformity of illumination, but that's it.

Magnus
That is just the characteristics (specifications) of the panel, it has nothing to do with the quality. They're picking panels based on specs (good ones) and then they mount them. If you get a very well mounted well lit panel in your iMac you're going to have a very good display, what I'm saying is that nobody in the factory is going to test that before they ship the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.