How is your battery life? (and why is mine so bad)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KittyKatta, Oct 15, 2011.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Im curious on how iPhone veterans are rating the battery life in the latest version. I had a 3G for a few months but that seemed to last much longer so I'm looking for advice on what I may be doing wrong with the 4S because my battery life seems to be very poor.

So far I'm getting a 10% battery hit per hour despite little or no usage. Since Im fairly new to this then I'm looking for what I should turn off in order to make it through a solid day with moderate use. Ive started with PhotoStream and lowering brightness but what else is there that is a battery hog?

2. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

I had mine for a mere 24 hours. It seems to drain rather quickly. Maybe because I'm spending a lot of time with Siri. Charging time also seems longer.

3. bendrumin macrumors 6502

I turned off Siri and going to try using it tomorrow and see how long it lasts. It seems that Siri might be a big battery hog.

4. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Everytime a new iPhone comes out people complain about battery life. It's because everyone is using all day because it's new. Also turn off notifications or push or whatever you don't need to save battery life.

5. Reach9, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Exactly.

Guys, the iPhone 4S is super fast. I keep Settings in my Multitasking bar at all times, if i want to turn on Siri, i just quickly go there.

As soon as i turned on Siri, i went from 68% to 66% in a matter of a minute.
    I noticed a better battery performance after i disabled Siri.

I also tried turning off all the iCloud features today, i'll see how my battery is tomorrow after a full charge. iCloud is pretty useless to me at the moment, only thing i use is Find My iPhone (just incase i lose this).

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Turning Siri off still causes my phone to drain 1% about every 3 minutes while running something like Facebook.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

After a full charge overnight, I'm extremely impressed with the battery life today on my 4S. Amazed, actually. I've got Siri on, notifications on, push off (I use BoxCar for my notifications and email) and this is what I've got...

Usage: 3 hours, 50 minutes
    Standby: 11 hours, 36 minutes
    Battery % remaining: 60%

I've played about 20 levels of Angry Birds today, sent a ton of texts, done a little web surfing, and downloaded a few apps that I still hadn't put back on my phone. Oh, and I did a manual backup to iCloud earlier.

I'm impressed, that's for sure.

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Mine seems more or less normal. I'm using it a lot, have siri, location services, medium brightness, etc. 12% battery life, 8hours of usage, 14 hrs 13 min of standby.

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

...and that exlains how the OP said he is losing 10% per hour with "little to no usage" how?

This should cover what's going on and how to fix it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13628608&postcount=16

10. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mines pretty horrible TBH.

29% battery
    3h 27min
    Push on for most apps, Siri on, iCloud on, push email every hour. I know that's gonna drain battery but I don't buy a full fledged phone to disable half of its features. My old 4 was much better

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Just wait until you've had a week of normal usage before you panic. After this initial weekend of heavy use, we will go back to our normal routines. Then you can judge battery life.

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Do you guys think that running the battery out until the phone shuts off, and charging it up to the max, without usage, will fix the battery issue?

13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

My battery life has been fine. I'm coming from android, so I'm more than impressed.
    I'm at 71%
    Usage 2 Hours, 17 minutes
    Standby 5 Hours, 2 minutes

I don't see why it would, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. I don't know your phone/situation, but basically the two key things seem to be:
    -Don't use location based reminders
    -Don't restore from a backup; setup as a new phone.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

In my experience, everytime I get a new iPhone - the first week the battery sucks (even if I don't do anything). After that, it acts normal. Maybe the battery takes time to warm up... who knows.