How is your computer equipment receiving it's power?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdiosVista, Oct 24, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

I'm curious what is the best way to supply power to my new Mac Pro and monitors. I am currently running an 8-core Mac Pro with two 24" LCDs, external hard drive, Logitech 5.1 speakers, and a couple desk lights from one Belkin surge protector (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842121010). I never really thought about it until now but is this too much to be running from one surge protector? I'm guessing the Mac Pro alone takes a lot of juice and after having some weird graphical errors, I read people mention that bad PSUs can display these problems so I was wondering if maybe there's not enough power available from a single outlet like that. I could be way off here, but I'd still love to hear how everyone has setup of their equipment in order to both supply power and protect your investment.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

A base model uses 155W at idle, and 318 CPU max. No options, so if you add anything inside, it will increase. Link.

Assuming you're using a base model with the above items, you won't draw more than the circuit is rated for. But I don't know what else you may have on it. It's everything that comprises the circuit, not just the outlet you plugged the surge protector in. This would likely include other outlets, and maybe even a light fixture (ceiling).

3. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the base model but have added two other internal hard drives and 8GB of RAM (4 x 2GB modules). Everything, the computer, two monitors, speakers, desk lamp, are all plugged into the one suge protector and I'm wondering, with the Mac Pro, if this is ok.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

Wow we've come a long way! My G4 uses a wood burning stove.

6. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I thought coal was the norm nowadays...

7. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I ditched coal earlier this year for something more environmentally friendly. I built a wind farm in ma back yard! :D

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

The two HDD's and the memory won't make any difference. :)
    Now if we can only make a properly shielded fusion reactor that fits in the water heater closet, ....:p

Maybe geothermal in the meantime? :D

9. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I have a handcrank that my left hand spins while I work, you should see my forearms. The monitors get dim when I slow down...

Okay, I should post something relevant. I have several things plugged into one surge protector and I've had no problems, I would like to get a UPS though, 2 power outages this week kinda suck.

10. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Call me strange, but I've got mine connected to a 1500VA APC UPS (APC Backups RS 1500). Surge protectors are fine, but they only prevent surges - they don't protect against drops in power which can cause problems too. A nice stable power source protected against both surges and drops is what you should aim for.

11. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I'm using a APC voltage regulator. It cleans and regulates the incoming power to your computer. Most house hold current, will fluctuate. This can cause damage or undesirable effects to sensitive computer equipment. Especially in older homes, with multiple outlets on one circuit.

Most battery backup units will also do this, Usually the cheaper units wont.
    I decided that I did not need a battery backup but wanted to at least regulate my power. Since I do live in a much older home. The power never goes out but we will get flickering lights. You can here the apc unit switching over to the large capacitor to bump up the voltage to my mac. when this happens.

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200

12. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

if you consider a typewriter a computer, i guess she's receiving power via my my upper limbs at the moment.

btw, thanks for such a refreshing thread. :D

13. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you kidding; no one has a giant wheel with a mouse in it?? :p

At any rate, thank you to those who have commented on my original question regarding the best way to supply power, not what type. My main concern was if plugging everything into one surge protector would be too much but it sounds like I'm not the only one doing this.

14. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Let me put it this way, I'm fine as long as a surge protector doesn't make loud popping noises and smoke. That said, I supply power to my Mac Pro through a battery backup, though it's really only large enough for a maximum of 10 minutes, it'll shut down the computer after a certain amount of time... that's all I care about, no sudden shutdown damage to my baby.

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

I've got two 120W lamps, speakers, a router, cable modem, and computer with 850W PSU (Usually around 500W on the desktop).

All in one outlet. If everything else is on and I hit the computer's on button, the lights dim for a minute. I just don't have another outlet I can put them into unfortunately. I'd recommend against doing what I do.