How is your Display Calibrated?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shake 'n' Bake, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I've decided to recalibrate my display, a Dell Ultrasharp 2209WFP, because the colors were washed out compared to my other display.

I'm kinda unhappy with the way things are going. The reds are too intense and the only way to fix that is to lower the contrast which takes away from the other colors. I don't have any special equipment to help me and I don't want to spend the money.

How do you have yours calibrated? Do you use the display's native white point? What gamma level do you have? Should I use the actual white point rather than the native one?

Thanks for your replies!

(I'll attach the ColorSync profile in a minute.)

2. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Here's the profile:

To use it, go to <Hard Disk>/Library/ColorSync/ and open the "Scripts" alias. Them drag the profile onto the "Change display profile."

Attached Files:

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Can you calibrate a display without an external device, or is this not possible?

4. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can, but it probably won't be as accurate, which is fine with me.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For my internal screen on my UMB, I used SuperCal. It did a pretty decent job making the 9C89 panel NOT look like total garbage.

I used the native whitepoint and used Gamma 1.8 in this case. If I want to swap to gamma 2.2, I'll have to adjust a couple things to bring more definition/resolution to the darker areas of images.

6. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

SuperCal looks great. I'll give that a try.

I feel the Mac and PC standard gamma both look washed out so I used 2.8, I think. The only problem with that is the reds are too red.

7. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I just tried SuperCal, and it is OK, but gave made the whites greenish. And it looks like it was designed for OS 9 and below.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes, it is a very old program,...seeing how when it asks to describe your computer/monitor in the list the choices are pretty ancient :p

9. dimme macrumors 65816

10. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I use the gretagmacbeth i1 Display 2 hardware. Does a great job. I believe I'm using D65 for the white point and gamma 2.2.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

Have you adjusted the colors first using the display's settings? There should be a custom RGB option somewhere where you can set the individual colors. After you've got it close to correct colors (I usually check that grays are truly gray and not tinted red, green or blue) you can use OSX's calibration tool for final adjustments.

12. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I tried that and it didn't work too well.

Anyways, I recalibrated to this, using the native white point and a gamma of 1.8.

Attached Files:

13. kasakka macrumors 68000

It usually is a bit of work if you don't have a calibrator but it always gives better results. It will also mean you'll have correct colors in programs that don't support color management (games for example).

Posting your profiles will not be useful to anybody but those who have the same display with the same settings.