How is your experience with hotspot on iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aaronchow, Aug 19, 2012.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

How is your experience with hotspot on iPhone 4S? I used to enable it on Nokia Lumia 900 and it just works. But when I tried it with my iPhone, my MBA will take forever to connect (or either the 4S doesn't broadcast the WiFi). So I'd like to know if this is my phone's issue...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's far better than my old iPhone 4.

That one was dreadful, whereas my 4S is just fine.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I have a question say you are tethering your ipad to your phone. when you hit home or where there is wifi does your ipad change over or does it stay tethered to the phone?

5. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

So when you go to Settings > Personal Hotspot, then you enable the hotspot (with WiFi), then your laptop will show the WiFi network right away? I find that it usually takes me at least a minute in order for that WiFi network to show up, and sometimes when it doesn't show up, I have to manually "join the network," which is a big hassle...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be just that particular laptop that's having trouble connecting or even detecting the iphones wifi network.
    Did you try connecting other laptops or devices to your iphones hotspot?

7. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

In case if anyone is having the same issue as I do. I found out that I have to stay in the Hotspot screen in order for the laptop to discover this network. Before I'd just quit to the home screen as soon as I enable the hotspot, so that's why I was having problems connecting to it and I had to go back an forth...

8. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I doubt it will switch an activ connection. If you disable hotspot on the phone, it should find the home wifi quickly.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It won't switch over so long as it sees wifi from your phone. All your iPad "knows" is that it is on a viable wifi connection, thus it is not wasting resources looking for other connections.

You aren't going to want to tether via wifi from your phone for a terrible long time anyway, unless you are a walking charging station. :D

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes so I discovered. it has to be done manually both from the phone and the ipad. you have to open the personal hotspot setting then manually connect to it. Well I am not sure if it will connect on its own. I also notice if you are using the hotspot feature your phone dumps a wifi connection and changes over to 4g.