Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Im having terrible luck with my ipad 1 battery. It goes from a complete charge overnight to completely dead.

Ive shut off bluetooth, notifications, cellular, location services, and brightness is at 35%.

still my battery sucks bad. Do I have bad luck with batteries or how is everyone elses ipad doing with battery life?

if its not 100% off it dies in one night. it really sucks having to wait from a cold boot every time to keep it from dying.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I don't have a first gen to compare, but I would certainly restore your iPad in iTunes if you haven't already. There are often battery issues related to OS problems or app problems that can seem to arise out of no where.

Good luck!

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Im having terrible luck with my ipad 1 battery. It goes from a complete charge overnight to completely dead.

Ive shut off bluetooth, notifications, cellular, location services, and brightness is at 35%.

still my battery sucks bad. Do I have bad luck with batteries or how is everyone elses ipad doing with battery life?

if its not 100% off it dies in one night. it really sucks having to wait from a cold boot every time to keep it from dying.
Well, you probably have 100s and 100s of cycles on that battery. It probably has a very reduced capacity. Give it a restore, but after that, there's probably not much else you can do.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
thats wrong, a 100% battery should last 2 days, with mild usage. is your ipad jailbroken? it could be a tweak messing with the battery, try restoring and not jailbreak it

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I've used my iPad 1 constantly and consistently since the week it came out, and battery life is nearly as good as the day I bought it. Something is definitely wrong with yours.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I've used my iPad 1 constantly and consistently since the week it came out, and battery life is nearly as good as the day I bought it. Something is definitely wrong with yours.
Either that are they have used their iPad a lot more than you have used yours and have charged the battery more times. In either case getting the battery service at Apple will give him a refurbished iPad with a new battery.

The only decision to be made really is to spend the money for the battery service or to put it towards a new iPad.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Either that are they have used their iPad a lot more than you have used yours and have charged the battery more times. In either case getting the battery service at Apple will give him a refurbished iPad with a new battery.

The only decision to be made really is to spend the money for the battery service or to put it towards a new iPad.

The battery is rated for 1,000 charge cycles, after which it drops to 80% of capacity. That would require a full discharge and recharge nearly every day for three years. And you'd still have 5-6 hours of battery life per charge. What the OP is describing is battery failure.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

I bought my iPad 1 on day one and it still gets used daily by my son. It still has great battery life.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
hmm dam thanks guys. well maybe I will use that battery trade in program thing. I will have to think on it.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
Did you ever get this resolved, Acorn?

I'll chime in with another data point. I have an iPad 1 that I purchased just two months after they were released in 2010, and the battery life is still fantastic. I don't use it quite as regularly now that I have an iPad 3, but with the wifi on and cellular off, it goes forever on standby. Weeks and weeks and weeks. It goes so long that I forget to charge it, and that isn't a problem, because the battery life is so good.

So I would agree with everyone else - there's definitely something wrong. Either something is preventing your iPad from powering down enough in standby mode, or there is something wrong with the battery.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

That's terrible... we've still got a first-gen iPad here (from 2010) and it's still used regularly - and it's got great battery life.

There's definitely something wrong with one (or multiple) batteries inside your iPad.

gekkota

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
I've used my iPad 1 on a daily basis since the day it was released and I haven't noticed any change in battery life at all. I'd keep it forever except for the constant crashing issue...waiting for iPad 5!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I used my iPad every day from May 2010 until last week. It was used every day and charged every night. Most days I made it all day on the charge. Battery degradation, not really. Now my 10-year-old daughter is using it. She makes if farther on a battery than I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.