How is your iPad 3 capacity used up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Audio 2.40GB
    Video 0.68GB
    Photos 2.50GB
    Apps 14.0GB
    Books 0.01GB
    Other 1.88GB

Free space 35.9GB

2. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Sometimes I think I should have gotten the 64GB, but I went with the 32GB. Eh, that just lets me justify buying the fourth generation iPad. :)

Here's my usage:

Attached Files:

3. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I have no photos, videos, or songs on my iPad, those are either on my iMac or on drop box, thus really no need for much local storage on my iPad. Only have 40 or so apps.

I rather spend the extra money on accessories.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm fine with a 16gb model even though everyone says it's not enough. In fact, I'm planning on removing my music because I find myself streaming from Spotify more anyway.

Attached Files:

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The audio and video files are all podcasts and/or TV shows that I keep on the iPad for traveling. I have copied a bunch of photos over as well because I have found the new iPhoto for iOS to be a pleasure to work with. I originally picked up a 32GB model, but I quickly found myself wanting more space, largely so I didn't have to choose between photos or videos on my device.

[​IMG]

6. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I have a 32GB and so far used only 4GB. Primarily on Apps and photos. I don't have much music since I use my iPhone for that. Video use is primarily through Netflix. I will be loading and unloading movies/books when I go out of town.

7. MacAttacka, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

I justified the 64GB because i knew that using it as a computer I'd need it but also you get most of it back in re-sale. I wonder if anyone whose still planning to buy one is being influenced by the figures shown here?

8. Jonesy76 macrumors newbie

My 64GB is full with over 48GB of films as I use my iPad for film watching whilst doing interval training on my bike in my garage! :D

9. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I brought a 16gb wifi model on day one and took it back because I wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade or not and I'm still not sure, plus I wasn't using it much. I'm honestly not sold on the 4G model as it's not 4G here in Australia which means it's not future proof (LOL: I just looked at the Apple store website, and it won't even say what it supports anymore, cellular wise. I just says it supports very fast cellular networks but not WiMax or LTE in Australia).

If I but one for work though, it will probably be a 3G model because it can.. Actually a 3G iPad 2 might be more suitable for business.

Capacity wise is where I am having trouble deciding. I've pretty much ruled out 16gb as I want the ability to throw a video on it every once in a while, but this won't be a common thing by any means. So I'm stuck between 32gb and 64gb (leaning towards 32gb). So yes, this thread is very helpful to me and I'm looking forward to more answers or any thoughts about my future iPad purchase..

I like your thinking! I might borrow that frame of mind from you.

Any idea the size of say an 80 min movie that has a high enough resolution to use the retina display w/stereo audio? That would help me work out what I need.

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Apps - 7-8GB
    Photos - 8-9GB
    Video - 3-4GB

32GB. Considered going the 64GB route, but decided not to. If I did, I wouldn't have to rotate out apps and videos. But that's fine with me since whatever is on my iPad is frequently used. And I don't tend to watch movies or shows more than once. Music goes on the iPhone, no need to have it on two devices.

11. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I have moved all my music and movies to the phone. I dont tend to watch movies much outside my home TV anyway. I use the Pad for games, browsing and work. I think with this split im getting better use out of my phone and my tab. Each could do the job of the other but i like it when i can use the one device best suited.

12. Jonesy76 macrumors newbie

I ripped Avatar via Handbrake at a pretty high setting and it came down at 4GB. I then reduced the quality via the RF slider from 18 to 19.......saw very little quality difference but half the size!
    Ghostbusters is only a mere 750mb

I guess it depends upon how mental you want to be as far as the quality is concerned.
    Not really too much of a problem for me when I'm sitting on the bike, sweating, and praying for the end of whatever interval I'm on :p

13. blow45 macrumors 68000

This guy knows how to rationalize a purchase....