All iPads How is your ipad mini smart case doing after a while of use?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by FatPuppy, Jul 14, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I have a black smart case for my r mini and it broke at the lightning connector, it is also a bit loose.

2. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My brown one doesn't lay flat at the hinge otherwise it's holding up nicely. It actually looks better now it has a slightly worn look to it.

3. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

I have a Devicewear case. It is holding up great.

4. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The black smart case on my rMini is holding up fine, but I have to say it is treated very gently. The rMini lives in a zippered pocket of my purse when not in use.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have a black Apple smart cover for my iPad Air. It doesn't close sometimes. :apple:

6. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I've had mine since February, and it's holding up surprisingly well–a lot better than my Apple iPhone case, which cracked right above the lightning connector in less than a week since it's so difficult to pop out...

I think the iPad Smart Case is a very good product: sure, it's very expensive but it does offer full protection and avoids making the iPad bulky

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is worth a try but if you take the case to the Apple store, they might replace it on the spot. Apple is pretty good about these things.

8. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah my sisters 5c case broke at the lightning port, replaced no questions asked!

9. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Mine also broke at the lightning connector opening, which is annoying. Otherwise, it's been a great case.

10. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

I believe there is a one year warranty on the Apple cases so I'd take it back. I had to swap out one of the iPhone cases that broke at the headphone jack. They replaced it no problem.

11. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Wtf are you doing with it????!!

Smart case on Air and rMini, still looking brand new, both product red.

----------

Seriously?? How can you break it? Are you taking it off and on again over and over and bending it at the connector??

12. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Maybe, I take it off many times.

13. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Yes, seriously. It's broken.

I've removed the case maybe a half-dozen times in the past nine months, mostly to swap SIM cards when traveling overseas. I don't think that should cause a leather case to split apart the way it has, though.

Good to know. I'll visit the local Apple Store and see if they will treat it as a warranty replacement.

14. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Visited the Apple Store in Shibuya yesterday. A clerk told me the lightning cable opening is a "weak point" in the case design, and said he would get permission from a manager to exchange the case under warranty.

The manager then told me that the case was "too old" to qualify for a replacement. The case is 8 months old, and the warranty is supposed to be for 12 months.

I didn't feel like arguing, so I simply said fine and left the store. It was a disappointing experience, though. Had I abused the case, I could see them refusing the exchange. But other than the crack at the cable opening, the case looks brand new. The crack certainly wasn't caused by abuse.