How is your iPhone 5 holding up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tidus87, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Tidus87 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know how your iPhones 5 are holding up. I still can't decide which color should I take, so it might be helpful. I'm not talking about "out of the box" scratches. Let's skip those and write about any imperfections caused by normal usage. Don't forget to post which color do you have.

2. stuaz macrumors 6502

Mines the black one and it doesnt have a cover and I have had it from release = zero scratches.

BTW think there are a few of these threads :p

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Mines black, few tiny marks on the bevelled edge but overall nothing too bad, none on the actual band. I'm very careful though, and have a BSE on the back.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I put Ghost Armor on my black iPhone 5. No scratches. :)

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I have a white one and while I'm very careful and use a case when out and about, I got a tiny nick on the chamfered edge. You can't see it unless you look very very closely. It doesn't bother me but I have no idea how I managed to nick it. I never dropped it or banged it into anything while handling it but never the less, there it is.

If you're the kind of person thats very careful with your devices I don't think you'll have any major problems. With that said I'm glad I bought the white one. Little nicks and scratches will definitely show more on the black version.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have a leather flip case and its still in perfect condition. I have had it from launch day. I always have this type of case and it keeps your phone in prestige condition. The phone looks better naked but is it worth the risk? Not to me but I'm a bit annually retentive when it comes to my apple stuff.

7. itsmemuffins, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Black, mint out of the box, still mint. No cases or screen covers :cool:

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

My black iP5 remains in immaculate condition. I had an Zagg HD full body kit applied to it and am very pleased with purchase. Depending on what the day has in store, my iP rotates between naked, so to speak, a clear Rocketfish tpu, and a OBD.

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

previous white iPhone had a nick, a scratch through the apple and slightly bent, new replacement is perfect although it feels like the glass on top of the aluminum might be slightly raised

10. Koziakauzu macrumors member

:rolleyes:

11. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Normally one to pump up the good points, I went to an Apple store and surveyed their black iPhone 5s.

Every single one that I looked at had tons of scuffing by the bottom edge. Likely scraping against plastic putting it back in the holder.

Simply put, the anodized coating comes off fairly easily. Maybe tougher than paint, but not all that much tougher.

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Black one here, and looks like new. No problem with scuffing anywhere, including the headphone jack and the dock areas.

13. whitesand macrumors regular

Black here...Still like brand new just like we got it on launch day.

14. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

Black one here since launch, still looks brand new with my 3 dollar case.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Mine only has the large scratches that came free of charge.

Used it for a few weeks, found it uninteresting & limiting with it's narrow screen, and shelved it in favor of my Galaxy S3.

Put my 4S back into service as my iPhone of choice, only to be reminded of how great it is.

As long as I'm going to be stuck with a narrow display, I'm far happier with the 4S. It's Google Maps are just one huge advantage the iPhone 4S has over the 5.

The scratch resistance, build quality, & iOS 5 all add up to remind me that newer is not always better.

Hopefully next year Apple will wake up & give us something better.

Yet the _real danger_ is sales.

As long as Apple gets the money they are currently raking in from those who only want the Apple logo, there's no incentive for Apple to innovate.

I am _thrilled_ that I kept my trusty old 4S.

16. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Mine has 2 tiny scuffs on the rear upper right corner from sliding out of my pocket onto my car seat rail. Also a scratch on the bottom border of the front glass, but it may be the oleo phobic coating since it has diminished significantly since it happened, I can barely find it any more. I have a phantomskinz rear protector, and an otterbox defender for work (service deli) and school (auto tech), but otherwise it stays naked+shoes (rear skin)

17. Whatsit macrumors newbie

Black, no case, still looks as perfect as the day I got it. I am careful about not putting it in the same pocket with my keys, but then I am always careful about that, even with my previous phones.