How is your MBP 16" 2019 keyboard?

Compared with pre-butterfly MBP, do you make more typos typing on the MBP 16" 2019 keyboard?

• Yes, a lot more.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes but not that many.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Almost the same

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, any issue with the new keyboard? I found that I made typing mistakes often. Not sure if it is due to auto-correct, the keyboard itself, experience with the new type of keyboard or something else.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2019
It’s great, no problems. Feels similar to my 2011 MBP and 2013 MBA keyboards but maybe slightly shallower keys.

PeterJP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Just had the chance to work on a 16" for a bit, side to side with a 2018 butterfly 15" and my late 2013 13". I can imagine why some people liked the butterfly keyboard (when it works): it's extremely fast to type on, so much so it takes a bit of getting used to. It's like going from a typewriter to a laptop keyboard. The 2013 keyboard feelslikethat typewriter afterwards.

The 16" is really the best of both worlds. It's stiffer and has less travel, but it doesn't feel like typing on a wooden board. Very accurate. But, like any keyboard (particularly the shallow travel ones these days) ittakes some getting used to before you reach speed+precision.

involuntarheely

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2019
I wonder if the new MBA is like that too
I think part of the reasons I've been noticing this more is that the 16 inch is thicker and the trackpad is huge. wearing a watch, I tend to have my hands a little further back than, say, when I'm using the bluetooth magic keyboard.
so my fingers end up trying to reach farther and hitting keys off-center. still, the distinct audible clicking sound is misleading in thinking that a key was actually successfully pressed.

unfortunately I dont have my desktop computer here with me so I can't test the bluetooth magic keyboard. however I'd expect the macbook air to be the same but possibly less noticeable in that the chassis it's thinner and thus the keyboard is closer to the bottom edge.

Reactions: adeelrahman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.