How is your Sport band holding up

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by w_rigdon, Feb 26, 2016.

1. w_rigdon macrumors newbie

w_rigdon

Just got new watches for the wife and I. We both got the sport mine in 42 and hers in 38. How is everyone's sport bands holding up? Are the bands covered under Applecare+, if they happen to break?

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

very well so far. 6+ months looks brand new if I clean them.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've had mine for 10 months and it's fine. Like bofh666 said you need to keep it cleaned.

4. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Started off with a white SB shortly after the AW came out, gee about a year ago now. Since then have added a Stone, Midnight Blue and Product Red with the last color updates. I love them. They are my favorite bands to wear. I don't do anything special with mine apart from wipe them down after wearing each time with a damp cloth (wrist too). They look as good as when I bought them.

The early black SB had a peeling issue (I think we assume was a coating on it, not the actual elastowhatever material) which Apple replaced for people but other than that I don't recall seeing anyone have a problem with them breaking.

Hope you and your wife enjoy your watches.

5. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

Bought my Watch with the white Sport Band last July. Just changed out my large band to the smaller one (my Watch helped me lose weight!) and I can't tell the difference between the old band and the new one.

6. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Likewise, I wear the black Sport Band every day and it still looks like new. So does my Space Black Sport watch.

7. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The point I was most worried about -- the hole where the steel peg presses through -- shows no sign of wear at all. I'm betting the smooth finish of the peg deserves credit.

I'm seriously impressed by the Sport strap. I'm considering getting another strap or bracelet only for style, because the function and comfort of the Sport band is very good.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, bands are covered under AC+. They're treated just like iPhone accessories. They're covered as long as the device is under warranty.

10. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Only if it came with your watch when you bought it (i think).

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, any bands you have are covered. We have a thread on this. Likewise, if you purchase additional included-in-the-box iPhone accessories (charger, cable, etc.), they're covered as long as the iPhone is under warranty. Same (unwritten) policy.

12. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Wow...cool. Thx.

13. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I bought a white band Sport at launch. After a few months of use and wiping the band off with a damp cloth daily the band started to turn green and brown. I'm okay with the fact it got dirty though, it is white. It has held up well though, no signs or breaking and it is still soft.

I bought a Black Sport band on Friday and it is so much better. Looks much classier and it won't get nasty looking like the white. I'm expecting a lot from this band, so let's hope it holds up.

14. aloecool macrumors regular

My black sports band that is wore almost daily still looks new, had it since 5/15

15. nicho macrumors 68020

footnote: you may have to argue your case with multiple people for this to apply.

see here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leather-loop-band-coming-apart-after-9-months.1957694/

16. JayLenochiniMac, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really, because the OP of that thread merely got a bad employee/information, and people were responding to that bad information. Notice that the OP later posted in post #13 that he went back to the Apple Store and got it replaced in 10 minutes.

The issue was settled in http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-yes-its-covered.1865849/page-3#post-21210800

Additionally, since that thread they've updated the AC+ for Apple Watch terms and conditions to state the following:
    "The Plan covers the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch or, Apple Watch Sport and the Apple-branded accessories contained in its original packaging (“Covered Device”) listed on your proof of coverage document (“Plan Confirmation”)."

In fact, when the AW first debuted the Apple website used to have bands on the accessories page. However, Apple likely got too many inquires from customers unable to locate the bands (to purchase separately), as a result of them being unaware that bands are considered accessories in the watch world. They eventually revamped the website to have a dedicated page for bands.

That they'll replace separately purchased accessories for iPhone under the iPhone's standard warranty or AC+ has long been an unwritten policy, and I've personally tested it. The same applies to bands purchased separately from the Apple Watch, but you won't find it documented anywhere.

17. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I've got a black sport band which is only used for the gym. Seems to be great so far, noticed a small amount of wear on the inside of the band, but of course that's expected.

Other then that great condition and holding very well! I use a 3rd party band during working and non gym events.

18. nicho macrumors 68020

I don't dispute that but you should reread what I said. Arguing may not be necessary but it's that or doing as OP did and leaving then returning to find someone else. I'm just calling a spade a spade; there are bad employees out there who don't know the rules and that people should be prepared to insist on coverage.

Off topic I was once told by a genius I had to buy a new iPhone 5 for a problem which later turned out to be fixable (with care) by a safety pin in about 30 seconds. I looked shocked and she asked me if I'd like her to look at the phone and try again, I think you can guess my answer.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I get what you're saying but you make it sound like it's the norm. A good majority of Apple Store employees know the correct protocols. It's the few bad apples that make the most noise on this forum and they are not necessarily representative of the typical services that one might expect to get.

20. nicho macrumors 68020

touche. I myself haven't ever had a brilliant experience at the genius bar. I've only ever needed to go twice, the other was christmas 2009 for a 1st gen 500GB time capsule that just died overnight after about 18 months, i think it was. it was covered under applecare from one of my macs (yay) but they sent it away and my replacement got "lost" when i went to collect it (boo). that time i got lucky, they didn't sell the 500GB anymore so i got given a 1TB base model as a replacement.