How is your trackpad? My 2015 is much quieter than the 2016...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Denumerable, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Is your Trackpad "click" louder, softer or the same as the mid-2015?

1. Louder!

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. ~Same.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Quieter.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

My wife feels the same way.

Does your new Trackpad make a loud "click" sound when you click with it? It is roughly twice as loud as the 2015 force-touch Trackpad (and roughly twice as big... haha).

Do you feel its overdone or not?

I sure hope this is just an issue with the BTO that I got and not widespread. Thanks!

PS - the new keyboard is amazing. I love it. Touchbar is sweet too. I'm sure I can figure out how to optimize it more with time too.

2. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I can't answer the mid-2015 part but it's definitely louder than the late-2013 rMBP I own. There's a bit of an echo to the clicks but that being said, I'm not finding it unduly noisy.

I use a mechanical keyboard on my PC so the keyboard, although noisier than the late-2103, doesn't seem too bad to me, either! All things considered, I'm okay with the extra sound effects. :)

Edit: I'm using the mid-range (i7 2.7, 512, 455) so not a BTO.

3. Denumerable thread starter macrumors member

Denumerable

Thanks for the feedback. Oh, and you're right on the money with the "echo" feel to the click. Super weird coming from my mid-2015 MBP.

I tried an SMC reset and no dice. I don't think the keyboard is loud at all compared with the trackpad, if that helps anyone understand how loud the trackpad is -- I would guess it is 2-3x louder than a normal key press.

4. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I've not had chance to mess around with the silent-clicking setting but I didn't particularly like that on my 2015 MacBook 12", so I'll probably leave it as is..

5. Denumerable thread starter macrumors member

Denumerable

I don't have a silent clicking option available on my MBP. Do you?

Edit: I just found out why:
    "You can turn off the sound of your trackpad's click by selecting Silent clicking.
    Silent clicking is not available for the built-in trackpad on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), and MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)." Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204352

6. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

No, I don't either; I've just nipped upstairs to look at it but assumed it would be there (you know what they say about assumptions!)

7. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Worse trackpad ever. Don't care what sound it makes as long as it works properly. It's so big that I keep hitting the bottom right corner and it keeps wright clicking when I want to left click. I usually set that corner for right clicking.