How is your work cheap?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Turkish, May 31, 2007.

1. Turkish macrumors 6502

We have a "wax-based" printer at the office, which we use for printing ad proofs, article proofs, etc.

The office manager is constantly bugging us to turn it off this printer, as she thinks it melts "hundreds of dollars" of wax each month (I empty the tray, I know it's not true). Mind you, it take 20 minutes to warm up once you've shut it off.

What things does your company cheap out on that seem insignificant?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Staff. :eek:

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Pays it's own 4000 employees £21m less than a few hundred consultants in annual wages...

Oh, I missed the insignificant bit...

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

My salary.

;)

5. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, so we don't have a thread that goes on forever saying "I don't get paid enough," how about we stick to the stupid little items like the one I mentioned. ;)

They also turn the air conditioning off all the time to save on electricity. This is a 8-person office with $4 million plus in revenues, mind, not a corner deli.

6. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

outsourcing.

Specifically putting people out the door with 5+ years experience to put on people with no experience who speak English as a second language.
    And this is for so called Enterprise level customer and technical support.
    Fortune 500, government contracts, that sort of thing.

Oh, and they took away the crappy coffee machines and put in crappy machines you had to pay for.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm the person who goes around the workplace turning off unnecessary lights, PC's, printers and so on.

I'm saving them a small fortune in electrical waste. And by doing two-and-a-half jobs.

So I repeat: salary!

:D

8. Aaon macrumors 6502

Our place of work stopped providing the cups for the coffee machine. They have also asked us to limit our use of the water cooler to 2 cups a day...

9. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Jeez- I'd die. I drink a gallon a day...

My company recently stopped providing spoons and forks... they use to stock them in the breakroom for employee's lunches, but the employees we "Burning through them" too fast.

10. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd die, too - I drinhk at least two liters a day.

Yeah, we had the ole "we can't do forks and knives" thing, too.

11. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

As a consultant myself I am well aware of how insane this is. Our company has a daily rate of £1200 (per consultant) and thats cheaper than quite a lot of places! You could probably take on 10 well paid staff for the same amount of cash that it would cost to get me to do it. (I wish I got any of this fee lol)