How it's made!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R94N, Jul 13, 2010.

1. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Who else loves this program? It's on the Discovery Channel and sometimes on Discovery Science as well. I've learnt a ton of stuff from it :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I truly love this program and DC all together.
    The show is cool because it takes objects that are otherwise unassuming and shows us how they're made. I was surprised to see the work that goes into standard paintbrushes that you find at your local hardware store. The other good part about the show is that the segments on each item is short enough to hold my attention. If it gets too long and drawn out with dumb interviews and such I won't be able to sit through it.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

I love the Discovery Channel. Especially How It's Made, and that other one that I can't remember the name of. Unfortunately I don't have Sky any more.... :(

EDIT: How Do They Do It is the other one.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Love the show. I was sick one holiday weekend last year and watched a marathon on Science channel. Must have watched about 50 episodes that weekend.

As for Discovery, I'm watching tonight to say goodbye to Captain Phil. :(

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

I love this program.

I also love Modern Marvels, but that is on the History channel I think.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I enjoy it as well. It's cool seeing what goes into making the products you use every day

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I <3 Discovery Channel!

I like the show, particularly because of the contrast in products produced by heavy automation and artisan craftsman. Seeing the technology, technique and steps a product goes through always seems to pique my curiosity. However the one thing I can do without is some of those cheesy puns they give the narrator, but over all it's not enough to prevent me from watching. ;)

I often wonder though if we are all watching the same thing, because the show features a lot of manufacturing plants in Quebec. Has anyone noticed that?

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Does DC even have any bad programs? I don't think I've seen one that wasn't less than partially interesting.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Technically, it's TLC, but it's owned by Discovery ;)

Although TLC is where Discovery sends it's trash. Sarah Palin's show, clown car vagina lady, John and Kate plus who gives a ****, and midgets with multiple DUIs.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That sounds like the most eclectic show lineup I've ever heard...

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

12. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Yep, they make me cringe :D

Not sure what you mean, but it would make sense if it's mostly from one location. Keeps the costs down :)

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They don't discriminate. They feature midgets on the straight and narrow too.

14. sportster macrumors 6502

I too like How it's made, along with Modern Marvels, pretty much all the shows on Discover or the science channel. I can live with out the reality shows that they have done, but other than that those types of shows and channels are my top picks.

15. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

You forgot Half-ton Teen Virgin with Two Vaginas who didn't know he was Pregnant with 8 of John's Midgets. That's my favorite TLC circus sideshow. I always shed a tear when I think about what TLC used to show vs. the brain-dissolving crap they show now.

The other educational channels have definitely switched from what they used to show to a more entertainment-based lineup, but the quality of the shows is still pretty good.

16. No ice please macrumors 6502

I love this show but can never catch. Everytime I flick on the DC channel the worst show cash cab is on.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I love most shows on DC/SC How it's made and Build it Bigger are 2 of my favorites.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That and mythbusters... so good. Sophomore year of college we'd sit in my dorm suite common room after class waiting for the dining hall lunch crowd to thin out and wind up nearly missing lunch altogether, captivated by the manufacturing process of a hockey glove or tractor trailer.

19. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

the show is mesmerizing. I literally cannot look away. I wish they did apple products.

20. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

There are episodes I have seen 3+, maybe even 5+ times.

I fall asleep with the TV on most nights, and I either have Science Channel or ESPN tuned in.

21. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Now that would be AMAZING!

I watched another episode last night - it was one of the new ones (with the chrome-style graphics) and it was barrels, fire hydrants and strip lighting. I love how random the things are :D

Also watched Mythbusters as well - it was the moon hoax one in case anyone else has seen it - brilliant as well :D

22. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm surprised that manufacturers allow their methods to be made public.

23. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Well, I suppose with some things every company uses the same method, and perhaps maybe the production company dosen't allow companies who keep secrets of production to be featured on the program, as it'd get pretty annoying.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The point is not to show how a computer is assembled. What they would probably show is how the unibodies are fabricated and such. That is if they could ever get in there. :cool:
    They don't show everything. There are times when you'll notice that out of no where there was something already made. However, many segments are of things that are common. Paintbrushes, vinyl records, golf balls. Golf balls, for example, were shown as a real basic ball. They did not get into the advanced technology that is now going into making the balls. There are different aspects to the balls, some are designed for people with real strong swings and others are designed for people who don't hit real hard. They're real general when it comes to this show but it's still awesome.

25. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

I suppose they try and be general to save time. Normally it's only 5 minutes per item.