How laggy is Navigon on a 3G?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Please ONLY post if you have actually Navigon on a 3G. Maybe TomTom on a 3G as well. :)

I'm trying to decide between Navigon ($60) and TomTom-US($50), and I would go for navigon but I've heard so many reports about it being slow, almost unbearably so, on a 3G.

How bad is it really? And is TomTom really that much faster?

2. navguy macrumors regular

you've probably seen my comments before, but I used Navigon 1.3 on 3G before upgrading to 3GS ... and have also loaded 1.4 back on my old 3G and used last week a bit ...

typically, I don't use iPod while driving ... so i turn off that feature on 3G phone

also, to reduce unnecessary processing cycles, i turn off wi-fi

and while i have not idea if it helps, i do a master restart before loading, and immediately after loading, to have the cleanest initial boot up of the app

I do have traffic service turned on

On my 3G w/ a few features turned off, I experienced a bit of menu lag, but not unacceptable ... I experience periodic lag in directions but mostly if they are stacked back to back (2 turns immediately after one another) ... I get GPS lock in 20-25 sec, similar to the boot up time of my wife's older garmin.

if you recently got your 3G and won't be upgrading for 6-12 months, then I would seriously consider TomTom which sounds like the UI experience is better and obviously is a quality app ... if your upgrade is in the next few months, then pick the best navigation app available now, Navigon :D:D

good luck with your decision!

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Thank you for your detailed response :) I plan on upgrading to the 4th gen iPhone in Julyish. So about 7 months from now... I'm thinking that might be too long to live with the lag. And navigon doesn't seem to care too much about fixing it...

4. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I just purchased the TomTom USA app today after getting a gift card :) - and I used it tonight and it worked fantastically!!! - I too have an iPhone 3G

5. navguy macrumors regular

Agreed ... also, i speculate that these apps will continue to come down in price, so regardless, we may all own multiple options eventually ...

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Add 3 minutes to your trip and get Navigon. Once you get it set up the 'lag' is no longer a problem.

7. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

err... yeah, so it has 3 minutes of lag and more if you try and do things during the trip - like changing songs on the ipod.

i have it, i would like to get tom tom soon though, i use a 3G white.

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

So I decided to go for it this morning. I went TomTom. I decided I didn't want to waste 60 bucks on something that was going to aggravate me more than anything with the lag. I want an app that actually works.

I am THOROUGHLY pleased with TomTom :) I've taken a couple 45 min trips with it. Zero lag. Music works perfectly (I'd prefer the softening the music rather than pausing it, but i'll take it) The voice was pleasing. I liked the visuals well enough. I think navigon might look a bit prettier, but TomTom works better for what you need it to be (a nice quick reference of your route and where you are). All the routing seems simple enough and so far both contacts I have tried worked. When I (intentionally) went off route, it rerouting very quickly. I was VERY pleased with how simple the POI's worked. One of the main reasons I was looking at navigon was the new google search and I was hoping that TomTom would get a google search soon. After seeing how nicely it's POI database works I don't think it needs google search.

I actually don't have anything to complain about. Well maybe once or twice I couldn't understand the name of the street, and occasionally it doesn't even say the name. But that's rare.

I can say that TomTom definitely provides everything that I am needing in a GPS and it is a terrific buy at $50. (of course everything changes in a few months when google released their free turn-by-turn app.. haha)

9. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

It's pretty bad. 1.4 is slightly better, but the initial load time is absurd and getting from menu to menu is agonizing. Using the iPod playback while navigating is impossible in my opinion as the music is extremely choppy and if you have traffic enabled, it will get even worse when the app is checking for incidents.

TomTom has no problems on a 3G from what I can tell. It crashes occasionally, but the only time I've seen it is when the app is launching. Overall, TomTom doesn't feel heavy and laggy like Navigon. If TomTom can do it, I don't see why everyone else can't.

10. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Navigon is a feature-rich navigation app, but I found it unusably slow on my 3G. I honestly don't know how anyone can bear to use it on a 3G. Now I have TomTom, and although it's a little basic in comparison, it's quick on the 3G.

11. lordhamster macrumors 6502

I used Navigon on my 3G and found it to be damned near unusable.

#1 if I played music while navigating both the music and the navigon instructions stutter.

#2 (Most annoying) trying to enter addresses or search for (non-google) POIs takes forever as you wait for the keyboard to un-freeze.

#3 Once you have your destination programed navigation is ok, but I found that on a 3G sometimes the application forgets where you were going if you exit out and go back in.

Overall on a 3G the TomTom app is better. Especially if you don't need live traffic.

Currently on my new 3GS I use Navigon for the traffic, but as soon as TomTom comes out with live traffic I would call it a draw. I personally perfer the interface and speed of the TomTom App.

All that being said, Navigon DOES work on the 3G albeit very very annoyingly slow for inputing destinations

12. silver25u macrumors member

So I broke down and got Navigon for my 3G after deciding I don't like the TomTom UI. On my trip out and about this morning everything was excellent except it seems like the instructions were about 20-30 second too late. That at some newer developments (2yrs old) weren't on the map. I would like it if Navigon had a more comphrensive GPS signal info page.

13. navguy macrumors regular

Navigon uses 2009 Navteq maps ... take a look on Navteq's Reporter map to see if the newer developments are there, if not, submit a request to update.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com

14. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I have both installed. While I love Navigons "look" and a few of the features, it is horribly slow on a 3G. Nearly unusable at times due to lag.

Tomtom on the other hand, while not as pretty, works very, very well. Runs as quickly as any of the built in apps, and, for me at least, in my area, does a better job at routing me around.

I'd love to ditch Tomtom due to the Google local feature now in Navigon, but it's nearly unusable as well due to the lag on button presses. They really need to post something about this in the app store, or fix the darn thing. If Tomtom can run smoothly, there is NO reason Navigon cannot. It's poor coding IMO.