How large is the perfect storage for you?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blackberryroid, Aug 12, 2012.

?

How large is the ideal storage for you?

1. Storage? A 2 MB floppy works fine for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Probably just a 1-2 GB USB Stick.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4 - 8 GB USB Stick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 32 - 64 GB USB Stick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 128 - 312 GB External Hard Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 313 GB - 1.5 TB External Hard Drive

5.6%
  7. 2 TB - 6 TB External Hard Drive

77.8%
  8. 8 TB - 1 Petabyte RAID Storage

16.7%
  1. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

How large is your storage? And what do you put in there, anyway? And how large do you think will suit you best?

2. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Synology 2x 2TB mirrored.

TM Backups
    some media like Music, Movies, GoPro Recordings..
    Photos, Documents, Projects I've worked on - mirrored also to DropBox

I have less than 1TB of the free space.

3. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I need 3 TB for Time machine, FLAC (ALAC on iTunes), 1080p video (some 4K), And billions of Apps.

4. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Now I'm living with 1500GB of total space (MacBook and External).

I need 2TB Time Machine and about 2TB for other storage.

5. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Wow. I didn't really expect most of you to want 2 TB, I thought you guys were fine with 1 TB or even 512 GB. And now, someone even picked 8 TB - 1 PB. Crazy amount of storage. How do you live when you're on the road? You can't possibly bring those oversized RAID drives with you...

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Why would anyone settle with anything less than the absolute max when talking about ideal? I remember about 13-14 years ago before I started ripping my DVD's, I had a 32 GB HDD and thought I was god - I would never ever run out of storage! Then MP3 and divx came into my life and I started ripping music and movies for digital storage and all of a sudden I felt like a mere mortal again...

Today I have just over 3 TB of storage, but all my media is compressed. I'd love to have everything uncompressed, and that would increase my need at least 20 times - but I can't afford 60 TB (aka, I can't come up with a strong enough argument for my wife to ok it ;)).

----------

Just as I don't pack my whole house when going on vacation, but rather packing what's needed based on where I'm going and for how long - I also pack my computer (if I even bring it) with only what I deem necessary for that specific trip.

7. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Because ideal storage is ideal storage. If you don't need 8 TB, don't get it.

What do you store in there, anyway? Unless you're a Final Cut Pro editor who has 4K Raw footages, I'd completely understand you wanting 60TB of storage.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My storage capacity is dynamic. I am continually reassessing and expanding annually. Their is no "perfect amount" especially in this ever demanding & highly volatile market. Operating at warp speed, the notion of static storage capacity is no longer relevant.

9. Ifti, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

Ifti macrumors 68000

750GB Portable External USB3 drive. This was my original MBP HDD before I replaced with SSD. Used to carry data between work and home if need be.

1TB Portable External FW800 drive for system images.

2TB Portable External FW800 drive used for iMovie/FCPX scratch disk and general video projects.

10TB Synology NAS (5x2TB drives in RAID 5). Gives me 7.15TB useable space. Used for backups, multimedia, files - everything basically. Can access this remotely if need be. Streams all my movies and other content to my MBP and iDevices, as well as my main TV.

Synology DX510 expansion 5 bay unit. Currently only has a single 2TB disk, but has capacity for an additional 4 disks. Used to backup my Synology NAS. As I run out of space I will introduce more disks.

I have tons of USB Flash drives ranging from 2GB up to 8GB. Don't know where all these come from! Lol. Currently have 6 brand new sealed 8GB flash drives as well with no use for them! May just give them away to some of my YouTube subscribers randomly.

Currently have a 256GB SSD in my MBP which I try to keep as free as possible when I can as all my data is on the above NAS.

Waiting to purchase a new MAC Mini when the updates come along to act as my main server to keep on 24/7 so I can access my network remotely as and when need be. Base server model will be upgraded to a 128GB SSD and a second 1TB HDD.

10. Blackberryroid, Aug 12, 2012

Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Of course it does. But for what you have in store, and for what you're planning to store in 6 months, what would be your perfect amount of storage?

I remember the time when 1 GB used to be serious storage. You could feel that you'll never fill it up. Now we're laughing about how a 1 GB USBs are so useless, they're being given away as a freebie. I can't imagine how I'll fill up a 1 Petabyte hard drive, but I guess in the future, when SSDs are as large as a Yottabyte, I'll be laughing again, the same way I'm laughing at 1 GB right now.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Didn't you get the point of my little story? ;) Just because I can get by with 3 TB today it doesn't mean I won't ever need more storage. Hell, I'm not even sure I won't have to get more storage before Christmas.

Ideal to me is not having to worry. I could get 8 TB today and have it filled up by tomorrow by only exchanging my compressed Blu Ray rips to uncompressed rips. The only reason I don't is because it's too expensive.

12. noteple macrumors 65816

On the go out in the field 512GB but would like a little more breathing room at times.

13. Lancer, Aug 12, 2012

Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Currently I have 4x 2Tb HDDs connected via a USB hub. 1Tb internal in my G5, plus 3Tb on a PC, which is shared over a network. So thats 12Tb and I can use more!

That's all for my media files, I could really use more drives to back them up or a jump in HDD size so I can combine some of them. I know we now have 4Tb but a 10Tb HDD would be nice.

That doesn't include my Backup of the main HDD, I plan on getting a 2 or 3 Tb HDD for Time Machine when I get my new iMac.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

OK, OK, you win... :D

First I digress.
    When I bought my first PowerBook, I was determined to future proof it.

So I ordered it with the maximum ram it would support and the largest hard drive available from Apple. And what was that you say?

A whopping 4mb (yes megabytes) of Ram!
    A stunning 40mb (well you get the picture) Hard drive.

Now you get to guess the model... ha..ha..ha...

Fast forward to today.
    After more than two decades of work, personal files, and migrating to a paperless system that contains all my personal documents, records, etc. I have a full 7TB of data.

My current storage across my home network is as follows. A five drive (10TB) Synology NAS, an additional total of 6TB across the drives within my personal Mac Pro server, several externals of various sizes and types, some of which are thin and light portable USB (for use when traveling) and that gives you an idea of what I have presently.