How large is your office?

How large is your office at your place of employment?

• I am self employed.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I don't have my own office.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I only have a cubical.

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • <100 squarefeet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 101 - 250 squarefeet

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • 250 - 500 squarefeet

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 501 - 1000 squarefeet

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • >1000 squarefeet

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
A poll on how large your office at your workplace is if you are employed.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Its a small bedroom size, 9x13 or something like that. To be honest, I've not measured it in a very long time.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Headcount? sq/ft?

To be honest, I've not measured it in a very long time.
Out of context quote is excellent :D

[edit]

Ahh, clarification via a poll :D

One thing: you’ve got a mutually exclusive answer in self employed vs. [size] and I’d say there’s likely quite a few SEs and/or home offices with dedicated office space :)

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Headcount? sq/ft?

Out of context quote is excellent :D

[edit]

Ahh, clarification via a poll :D

One thing: you’ve got a mutually exclusive answer in self employed vs. [size] and I’d say there’s likely quite a few SEs and/or home offices with dedicated office space :)
I am aware of this, but I just wanted to know the office sizes of folks who get their office from their employer.

Roric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
WI
My last 3 offices at the last 3 employers have been about the same size. This one is 24X13, but only has a 8 foot wide window overlooking the lake (and parking lot). Last place had about 16' of windows overlooking the courtyard. Place before that had no windows and I shared it with a giant laser etching machine.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I am aware of this, but I just wanted to know the office sizes of folks who get their office from their employer.
Gotcha.

When my #2 company was acquired they eventually moved us from our existing digs where my office was ~180 sq/ft of “personal space” with a small hall and another connected room with some servers (so it felt much bigger and had a nice, continuous, gentle hum...) to the corporate building, gave us our own floor. My office was about 250-ish I’d guess[?]

Anyone got their own secretary/assistant?
Eventually they moved me from my floor/team to the top floor, office was a bit bigger, cool view, but they had like these quadrant type configurations - the office was private, but it had a shared AA that felt effectively like my own (we only had 3 of the 4 offices used, and one fellow travelled a good bit).

Slightly off topic:

I bailed shortly after that, since “the machine” wasn’t for me. :D That’s about the only small window (about a year of 25+) I was in any kind of structured report-to type work (outside of disposable jobs in high school).

Been doing my own thing since then for the last 12 or so years (just like the pre-acq 10), funny enough, I’ve had office size changes even here at the World HQ: first the back rear corner bedroom (2nd floor) about 150sq/ft, then the landing area (2nd) large space, probably 300-ish but not enclosed so to speak, and finally back down to the 1st floor, about 200-ish, next to the bar and kitchen, in a room painted Flaming Sword red :D It’s nice being down here since I’m isolated in the evening from the bedrooms and I can bang around, watch TV while working, make a drink, party down, whatever.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Anyone got their own secretary/assistant?
Once upon a time in another career, I did. I had a secretary that was fantastic in one office and someone who hated my guts in another. Overall it was almost as much work to keep them busy as it was to do the work myself. Totally alone now, but I can request assistance from central office if I need something. Don't do that very often.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
101 - 250 square feet.

PS, square feet should be two words, not one.

I had an assistant once. I think secretary is a term that people consider antiquated nowadays. Today, I am the least important person in the company.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
It depends. I work from home and have a laptop. My "proper" office is about 16 x 11. But the house is over 2800 sf, then there’s the patio and, ultimately, the world.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
101 - 250 square feet.
PS, square feet should be two words, not one.
I make a lot of spelling errors because:
English= 2nd language
My spelling=bad in general

I usually have people/apps spell check stuff i write . :cool:

In the 1800s the best student was the one that could write the same word in many different ways.
Correct spelling is arbitrary.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I make a lot of spelling errors because:
English= 2nd language
My spelling=bad in general

I usually have people/apps spell check stuff i write . :cool:

In the 1800s the best student was the one that could write the same word in many different ways.
Correct spelling is arbitrary.
Oh I wasn't even remotely attempting to bash the language, it would have been more obvious. I was just letting you know. That's all. Though I don't agree that correct spelling is arbitrary. ;) I digress as that is not the point of the thread and if you do not care then I cannot care for you. :)

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Oh I wasn't even remotely attempting to bash the language, it would have been more obvious. I was just letting you know. That's all. Though I don't agree that correct spelling is arbitrary. ;) I digress as that is not the point of the thread and if you do not care then I cannot care for you. :)
smartass! :D

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Nope. I was sincerely stating that I wasn't trying to bash your use of the English language when I said a word was two words and not one. I think this should further clear it up.
its not my fault.
Your sig says that you are a smartass ;) and I cannot take my eyes of that avatar :)

Sorry for being cheeky, I really like kitten avatars.

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I work from home mostly, and have a room in the house dedicated for that. When I'm at the office, another mindless zombie cube.