How large of an External do I need for Leopard?

Enterprise8875

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I have a PowerBook G4 with a 120gb hard drive right now. How large of an external would be reasonable for use with Time Machine?

I read on Apple's site that the larger the drive the further back in time you can go but does that mean a 350gb drive will let me go back 10 years(which would be overkill) or just 2 months? Any suggestions

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have a PowerBook G4 with a 120gb hard drive right now. How large of an external would be reasonable for use with Time Machine?

I read on Apple's site that the larger the drive the further back in time you can go but does that mean a 350gb drive will let me go back 10 years(which would be overkill) or just 2 months? Any suggestions
I think it all depends on the majority of the files that is taking up the space on your system. Of course if we are talking about movie files, backing up 10 different edited versions of one video clip would take up quite a significant space on the external drive. It also depends on your usage habits, do you find yourself searching for files you have misplaced over the weeks or are you pretty organized with your files?

On the safe side, for the average user I would recommend 30% to 40% more than their internal HD. Hence for your case, an external 160gb - 180gb should be good enough.

Pierce

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
Dallas, TX
Does Time Machine use any kind of compression for backed up data?
No it doesnt. Here is a quote from the apple site.

It copies every file exactly (without compression), skipping caches and other files that aren’t required to restore your Mac to its original

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Separate question:

If you're using your external for some storage (e.g. you keep iTunes files there), can you still use it for Time machine? Would you have to partition the drive to do it? Would the files on the external drive also be backed up (and what would the point of that be?)?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Separate question:

If you're using your external for some storage (e.g. you keep iTunes files there), can you still use it for Time machine? Would you have to partition the drive to do it? Would the files on the external drive also be backed up (and what would the point of that be?)?
You can still use it, you shouldn't have to partition it, the files on the external drive won't be backed up.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Time Machine sounds cool, but Im still having a hard time understanding exactly how it works. Its suppose to save every file ever right? Well, wouldnt you be eating up hdd space like mad if it did that? And suppose there is stuff you do not want backed up, how can you differentiate those files from important stuff?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.