How large will the next ipod be?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TwoBytes, Aug 1, 2008.

?

How large will the next ipod be?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2008.
  1. 160GB

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. 180GB

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. 200GB

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. 240GB

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i reckon it will be 80GB for the base model iPod Classic and 160GB for the higher end model.

Seriously, is there anyone with an iTunes library in excess of 160GB who has a burning desire to store all of their music in their pocket? 80GB is more than enough for a vast majority of people anyway.

Lack of market aside, do the manufacturers even have drives bigger than 80 and 160GB?

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, I have a burning desire to hold my entire video library. My movies add up to about 350gb and about 300gb worth of TV Shows. Now I know i'll never be able to hold all of them on one iPod but I'd love to get as many as possible onto it. Why? Because I take my iPod down to the beach with all of my family and cousins...I just want to be able to plug the iPod into the TV and select a movie for the whole family to watch.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'm assuming the iPods will be updated in September.

If there's no HDs bigger than 80/160 GB, then I'd say the 80 GB may be dropped and the 160 GB dropped $50.

If there is, then they'll have a capacity bump at current prices.

4. telf22 macrumors regular

i'd say there will be an 80gb, 160gb, and possibly something bigger - say 320gb.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a feeling the Classic may go bye-bye. If I were Apple, I'd develop an iPod Touch with a HDD to replace it. That way you have the uber storage of the Classic but the awesome advantages of the iPhone/iPod Touch OS. This would also allow them to have a bigger App Store audience.

There's no real reason to jack up the storage when I can't imagine filling up 160GB on a portable device. I mean I could, but I wouldn't need half of it in any given month. The present HDDs could be integrated into a slightly thicker Touch case and you'd have the ultimate iPod.

If all that doesn't happen, a smarter bet would be the same sizes of HDDs but about $50 knocked off each model. I'm just hoping they up the storage in the iPod Touch and iPhone. If they do that, a 64GB iPhone should be available next year. :)

6. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Apply have always increased the HD size with every ipod. Spare requirements increase every year as does the technology. With my personal CD collection, podcasts, dvd's it's not just about mp3's and space dries up pretty quickly.

Why would they stick at the same HD space? Many other players have higher. It's hard to sell a new classic if it's the same OS and same shape..they'll bump up the HD and the ipod TOUCH will be the new selling point.

this is my theory

ipod classic - large collections of music / in car music
    ipod touch/iphone - on the move

7. pooryou macrumors 65816

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm hoping for something more than 200gb. My current iTunes library is 230gb (25gb music, can't remember but lots of TV shows and 105 movies, and podcasts of course), plus 4gb for my iPhoto library after optimisation.

I like my 80gb 5.5G but it was a pain trying to sort out what TV shows and films I wanted to take with me on holiday. What I wanted to watch before I left was different to what I wanted to watch whilst there.

I'd like an iPod big enough so that I don't have to plan anything. That iTunes is simply cloned onto my iPod.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you need an option for "64 GB" because that's my guess. iPod Touch goes to 64, and the classic gets dropped.

How many classics do you see in the wild? I see all the others (nano, shuffle, touch, iphone), but not classics. And it's pretty clear that apple wants to get more in to multi-touch, so I would not be surprised to see the classic retired.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Are there any iPod-size hard drives bigger than 160 GB?

Portrait screen, even larger, like the rumored iPod nano.

11. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

That's my vote as well. I was thinking I would try to find a 16GB original iPhone as my 8Gb gets a little maxxed out. But now I think I will just get a 64GB iPod Touch when it comes out. That and the 4GB shuffle. I should iPod/iPhone ready for the next 5 or so years after that.:D

12. samwise666 macrumors newbie

could they really drop their main click wheel product, its the one where you say ipod and everyone thinks of it...

i know theres still the nano but its crap.

13. atoothelex macrumors member

atoothelex

The only advantage to keeping the classic on the market is the HD size. But it's called the classic for a reason. It's almost the same design as the original. I would hate to see apple just ditch that design. and by the way, my 160GB is filled. With videos, tv shows and high quality music, i'm sure there are a few more people who need more memory than you think.

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Sorry mate, but if I was a customer of your Apple, I'd be complaining that they put a HDD in an iPod Touch. One of the best things about the non-touchscreen iPods is that you can skip songs, change the volume and play or pause songs without looking at the screen.

I love the iPod Touch and the iPhone for the innovations they bring, but sometimes a tactile interface is better than a touch-sensitive one.

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The 80/160 thing has already happened.
    And the poll said next largest.
    I have a library with somewhere over 200GB of media.
    PWND.
    And yes, I have to have all of that with me at once.
    I will go crazy if I don't.
    And I will be very upset if you tell me that I need playlist.
    I don't.
    I need a 240GB iPod.
    If they don't have and iPod Classic with a 240GB HD on this update in September then Apple will probably do a silent update around February,

16. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

Well some of us do have libraries bigger than 160gb. My entire library is around 250gb and growing very quickly. i would love to have all of my media with me when i go on a long vacation or somewhere where i cant bring my macbook.