How late to wait on itouch update (college deal)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BMWViking13, Jul 7, 2009.

1. BMWViking13 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be a freshman in college this fall and want to take advantage of the back to school deal (13" MBP), and I want to use the iPod rebate for a touch, but I've seen enough evidence and credible rumors to show that there is an update coming shortly (September?).

How long should I wait to buy? Does anyone know of when they should announce the new lineup? Would it be before Sept. 8th, the end of the college deal?

If not, what is the best way to conserve as much money as possible to use towards one of the new touches when it comes out? (I was thinking get the 8GB touch free after rebate, then sell it on a site like buymytronics.com and use the money towards the newer touch).

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They won't announce any update to it, September is iPod Touch month, long after the Back to School Promotion Ends.

But, maybe you can find an iTouch for free?

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Generally the new iPods are released at the conclusion of the Back to School offer; even if they're released just before the end of the deal, usually it still only extends to the 'old' iPods, not the brand-new ones.

In saying that, the iPod update usually occurs sometime within the first 2 weeks of September, it's been that way for several years.

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Good question. Ideally, you are safe until the very last day (though I'd go a couple days to a week early just to make sure they have what you want in stock).

Also ideally, you'd hold off until you absolutely need the computer because maybe they will release the better iPod touch with a camera that's been rumored before the deal expires (so you aren't stuck with last gen hardware) or they might even release new macbooks (I got a personal hunch that the Macbook line won't consist of a single configuration for long).

If you are planning on selling the iPod then the sooner the better because as rumors of a new one become more mainstream (as in people who aren't on this website also become aware of them) then you wont be able to get as much resale value (and god forbid the new one is out before you unload yours, you're totally screwed).

5. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Yeah, extremely doubtful they'll release a new iPod Touch during the sale, and if they do, I wouldn't expect it to be included in the BTS deal.

I'd get the 8gb iPod Touch, and sell it on eBay. They're consistently going for $170-200. I myself sold mine in person for an amount within that margin. Then you have money to put toward the next-gen iPod Touch when it comes out.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I purchased my new MBP + iPod touch using the same educational promotion. Apple will NOT let you get away getting the new model for free. They always will cut off the program and then introduce new models. Simple marketing technique.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I agree with those who have stated that even if new Touches come out before the end of the deal, they will not be available under the the BTS promotion.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Last year when they did the BTS program, they updated the nano lineup and specifically said on their website that the new ipods were not included in the promotion.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

The iPod Touch promotion is just to get rid of inventory in time for the new iPod Touch to come out in September, which is after the promotion.

Just get the free iPod Touch, and sell it to add to your funds for the new version.

10. BMWViking13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everyone. Just ordered the Mac today and I'm going to go with the idea of selling the 8GB itouch (probably via craigslist).