Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I haven't seen this news anywhere else.

http://3anime.com/apple-ipad-2-jailbreak-on-ios-4-3-1-now-possible-with-pwnagetool/3426

Its good news for those who updated their Apple iPad 2 and iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3.1. The download of the PwnageTool is now ready for those who want to jailbreak their devices now. It has been a long wait for consumers as they waited for the Apple iPad 2 Jailbreak since Apple announced a iOS 4.3.1 that will break the vulnerability to unlock the iPad 2. PwnageTool is the latest jailbreak from the Dev-team with the help of DjayB6 on iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak bundle and Universal Ramdisk Fixer. All iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch under the firmware iOS 4.3.1 can now be successfully jailbroken. We have the easy guide on how to do the Apple iPad 2 Jailbreak on iOS 4.3.1 using PwnageTool. Again this is a tethered jailbreak!

Here we have the quick steps on how to with with the Apple iPad 2 jailbreak on iOS 4.3.1:
Step 1: Download PwnageTool bundle (includes Universal Ramdisk Fixer) for your version of iOS device. Extract the .zip folder, in there you will find a .bundle file, for this guide, we are using iPhone 4 bundle iPhone3,1_4.3.1_8G4.bundle. Move this file to your desktop.
Step 2: Download PwnageTool 4.2 and copy it to /Applications directory. Right click, and then click on “Show Package Contents”
Step 3: Navigate to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ and paste iPhone3,1_4.3.1_8G4.bundle file in this location.
Step 4: Download Universal Ramdisk Fixer (part of the PwnageTool bundle package that you downloaded in Step 1 above) and simply install it as shown in the screenshots below. This is important because Ramdisk in the current version of PwnageTool is broken. This Universal Ramdisk Fixer basically patches it correctly for iOS 4.3.1 firmware
Step 5: Download iOS 4.3.1 firmware. Move this file to your desktop
Step 6: Start PwnageTool in “Expert mode” and select your device
Step 7: Browse for iOS 4.3.1 firmware for your device
Step 8: Now select “Build” to start creating custom 4.3.1 firmware file
Step 9: PwnageTool will now create the custom .ipsw file for your iPhone which will be jailbroken.
Step 10: Now follow the following steps to enter DFU mode using PwnageTool
Step 11: Start iTunes, click on your iOS device icon from the sidebar in iTunes. Now press and hold left “alt” (option) button on Mac, or Left “Shift” button if you are on Windows on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update” or “Check for Update”) button in the iTunes and then release this button.
Step 12: iTunes will be doing most of the work in this step. Your iOS device screen at this point will be showing a progress bar indicating installation progress. After the installation is done, your iOS device will be jailbroken on iOS 4.3.1.

And there you have it, a tethered iOS 4.3.1 Apple iPad 2 Jailbreak! Good luck!

ToeJamathon

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2010
Is this the first iPad 2 jailbreak? If so, why aren't more people commenting..? This makes me suspicious.

Also, is there a Windows version if this is for real?

And finally, as I'm not totally sure about this, does a tethered jailbreak just mean that when you restart the device you have to connect it to iTunes to get it back online? Are there any other drawbacks? Because I never restart my iPad so I was thinking that if this is all that tethered is then it wouldn't be an issue? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
You go first, and let me know.. :D

lol... nah.. I just went through all websites.. I think 3anime.com author went around and saw 4.3.1 JB available for ipad and assumed it work for ipad 2..

Still hoping for better description... and actual results.

Silent Assassin

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Is this the first iPad 2 jailbreak? If so, why aren't more people commenting..? This makes me suspicious.

Also, is there a Windows version if this is for real?

And finally, as I'm not totally sure about this, does a tethered jailbreak just mean that when you restart the device you have to connect it to iTunes to get it back online? Are there any other drawbacks? Because I never restart my iPad so I was thinking that if this is all that tethered is then it wouldn't be an issue? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't fool with a tethered jailbreak EVER... unless you're just testing out stability, apps, or you plan on being in front your laptop 24 hours a day...

that's the only drawback!!

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Don't fool with a tethered jailbreak EVER... unless you're just testing out stability, apps, or you plan on being in front your laptop 24 hours a day...

that's the only drawback!!

This I am not sure ... Why would somebody needs to be in front of a laptop if JB is tethered? It just means you need to hook back up and JB all over again if you reboot ipad..... Please do correct me if this is my misunderstanding as I have never JB tethered version either.

Having owened ipad 2 for past 16 days or so, I never need to reboot.

Silent Assassin

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
This I am not sure ... Why would somebody needs to be in front of a laptop if JB is tethered? It just means you need to hook back up and JB all over again if you reboot ipad..... Please do correct me if this is my misunderstanding as I have never JB tethered version either.

Yes, tethered means connected.. a tethered jailbreak means that each and every time you power down your iPad, or should it freeze or whatever and you need to power it down, you need to be near a laptop/desktop in order to get your jailbroken iPad back online, or it will just hang at the apple logo...

untethered means it works without the need to reconnect every time you reboot...

untethered is better.. :D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I agree with you. I've had iDevices on tethered jailbreak, and gone without having to reboot for weeks and months at a time. I can remember only once when an iPad freaked out on me while I was away from a computer and I had to wait until I got back home to reboot. Otherwise, the only times I had to reboot was when installing something from Cydia that required a reboot, in which case I made sure I was sitting in front of my computer before installing.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
Yes, tethered means connected.. a tethered jailbreak means that each and every time you power down your iPad, or should it freeze or whatever and you need to power it down, you need to be near a laptop/desktop in order to get your jailbroken iPad back online, or it will just hang at the apple logo...

untethered means it works without the need to reconnect every time you reboot...

untethered is better.. :D

wrong.

You can be tethered jailbroken and power down and back up without the jailbreak. You just can't have any apps installed like SBSettings. If you simply jailbreak your iPad tethered and power it down, it will come back online without the need for a computer. You will just not be jailbroken, so to rejailbreak, you need a computer to tether jailbreak it again.

Cool Hwhip

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Jesus Christ, people are stupid. IT'S FAKE. Why do you even have to consider its legitimacy? Are you that ****ing desperate that you'll believe anything you read?

Silent Assassin

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
wrong.

You can be tethered jailbroken and power down and back up without the jailbreak. You just can't have any apps installed like SBSettings. If you simply jailbreak your iPad tethered and power it down, it will come back online without the need for a computer. You will just not be jailbroken, so to rejailbreak, you need a computer to tether jailbreak it again.

Certainly not the first time I've been wrong, and likely won't be the last.. Thanks for the correction, sort of..

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
wrong.

Depends on the jailbreak. There was a tethered JB, back in the days of 2.x, I think, where you couldn't boot up at all without tethering. Then there was another one later on where you could boot up and have all the normal functions working but not the JB ones. Then there is the latest tethered jailbreak I tried, where once you installed Cydia, Safari stopped working unless you booted tethered. I've lost track of them all, but I just remember enough to say that you can't say tethered JB does this or that, you have to say tethered JB using X method on firmware y.y does this or that.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Jesus Christ, people are stupid. IT'S FAKE. Why do you even have to consider its legitimacy? Are you that ****ing desperate that you'll believe anything you read?

Yet in the other forum you were the one advocating for it, haha, irony!

People: Note at the bottom it says "NOT FOR IPAD 2" ... If you're surfing Anime sites for jailbreak advice, I have an envelope of beans to sell you that'll jailbreak your ipad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.