How Lenient is AppleCare with Extending the Warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steve Jobless, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

I just purchased applecare for my MBP and it says arrival date between aug. 23 and 28th. My warranty expires on the 25th. Is there anything I can do so I dont get totally ****ed over?

thanks

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Try giving them a call. You won't be able to apply it to the computer if the existing warranty has expired, which it will on the 25th.

3. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

date of purchase?

wouldn't you be covered from the date of purchase? Once someone has accepted your money, you own the product - deliver dates notwithstanding.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I think if it does come late you could give them a ring and they might be able to sort it for you seeing as it's only likely to be a day or so late. If that.

I had this same issue ordering online, so because I was unsure about the delivery times, I opted to ring up and order over the phone and get someone to guarantee whether or not I would have it in time. They quoted a 1-2 day delivery estimate as opposed to the website's 3-5, and I had it the next day. :)

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Why does apple care need to be *delivered* to be effective? Sure, they send the little packet of info, but it's not like you wave that when you call for service. They have the serial number in their records as having applecare.

To get comfort, just call.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

For me, they were NOT lenient at all.

As in, I went in ONE DAY after my 1 year warranty was up to sign up for AppleCare, and the Genius and store manager said they couldn't do anything; 1 year was 1 year. Literally, it expired on the 21st, and I went in on the 22nd. I was about to punch him in the face, but refrained.

7. filmgirl macrumors regular

You have to register AppleCare for it to be active - if buying it online didn't do auto-enroll (and it may only do that for new systems), you need to call them and get them to either a) manually register you while you are on the phone with them or b) get them to give you the AppleCare serial number so you can do it yourself.

I'm unsure if they track the AppleCare serial number with each purchase (I don't have my receipt with me so I can't check to see if the serial number was included when I got it at the Apple Store - if it is there, it is in Apple's system for online sales) but I would imagine that they do. So call them and get it. Don't risk doing it after tomorrow or else you might get stuck with some BS about it not being registered by the required date.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Why? If they had given you an exception for being 1 day over the would have to give it to everyone. What if I was 2 days over the year or 3? Where do you draw the line?

It was your fault you didn't get it within the year, punching the Genius for you error is stupid. But then again in this society it is always someone elses fault when we screw up.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I tried doing that, they refused to do it while on the phone, they said I have to do it by the book and that meant having it delivered and all sorts. Mind you, the guy I spoke to said it involved ringing a special number which would be sent in the post...I think he was a bit confused.

10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Thank you. I'll remember that for next time. I wasn't being facetious at all in regards to punching the Genius. I'm glad we have people like you patrolling these forums with replies like that so people like me can learn our lesson for next time, not only at an Apple Store, but in life.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'm asuming you ordered it online instead over the telephone? When I bought mine by phone about a year ago, they registered it for me right then as part of buying it. As others have said, they're not particularly lenient, so call the store.......even if it means buying a second one in order to get it registered in time (you should be able to return the first copy for a refund)

12. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

well i think you should be fine, apple can vary on leniency depending on who you talk to. I once got an ipod replaced and bought applecare one month after my warranty expired:)

13. weckart macrumors 68040

If it does come late, email sjobs@mac.com

(this is the new zap-the-pram and cures all ills, BTW)

14. expergo macrumors regular

I just did the same thing last week. Warranty expired on 16th, bought over the phone on the 16th and got it this week. Just call them and tell them you bought it before it expired and they'll check your order to make sure and apply the warranty (I called ahead to make sure they did this too).