How liberal is Apple on iphone warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Jul 29, 2009.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I purchased my 3G on launch day (July 11, 2008) and it's now the 29th. I'm curious if Apple gives people any leeway on the 1 year warranty, I have a few issues with my phone and I've just been too busy to go in and I finally made an appointment for tomorrow.

One of the issues I have is the cracking. When I was in to the Apple store last month to replace the battery in my Macbook pro, I talked to the genius about the cracks on my iphone and he told me they are just "cosmetic - not to worry"... However, since that conversation the crack around my vibration switch has gotten much deeper and I'm concerned about this.

In addition, the phone has within the past month been dropping calls at my house. I have a full 5 bars of signal at all times, and even when it drops, I have full signal but it just disconnects people and says "Call failed". This happened before, and they replaced the phone (about 1 month after I got the first one), and the problem went away. I'm concerned that the original replacement fixed it, and now the problem is back again that this is a hardware issue with the iphone, but who knows. It's very frustrating paying $100 a month and all my friends on Verizon just make fun of me and laugh at my "Terrible iphone service". ;) The only thing I can do in return is laugh at their ugly Blackberry curves. :)

2. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

why in the world would you wait so long knowing your warranty was almost up?!

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already answered that question, please re-read my message, I'm not going to tell my life's story on this message thread.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It really depends on how the "Genius" is feeling that day. I wouldn't count my chickens. Most likely they will tell you it's out of warranty and give you a few options which you probably won't like.

5. Surrix macrumors regular

Isn't the warranty date based on the date of your exchange for a new phone? I bought a 2G iPhone launch day and exchanged it Sept 12, 2007, and my receipt that day says Warranty effective until Sept 10, 2008.

6. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

im assuming that you have checked with your service provider? and gone through all the normal steps, when i got my 3GS i couldnt figure out why calls werent coming into my phone, turned out i was on a pay-as-you-go deal, when in actual fact i was signed up for a pay monthly (sim only deal) thus i couldnt receive calls, it took about 20 mins for the guy in the 02 store to check through the settings and then it worked..

PTP

7. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speaking of steps is there some kind of refresh AT&T can send to the phone that updates the carrier information? Maybe that's all it needs to avoid the dropped calls, but who knows. ;)

8. Future2001 macrumors member

If you exchanged an iphone a month after you got it your warranty starts over on the day of exchange. Check your serial number on apple.com and you'll see the proof there.

9. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

It says expired on there. Interesting seeing as how the replacement phone was shipped to me August 21st, 2008 so it should be 1 year from that date. I guess I'll find out more tomorrow. :)

10. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Not true. Your replacement iPhone will always replace the remaining AppleCare Protection Plan, not start a new one.

11. army91c macrumors 6502a

I would give it a shot.... they know cracking is a big problem... My replacement 3gs had one the week I received it at the headphone plug. Im waiting to return it for a while. I took my wifes 3gs in for dust under the screen in the last week of my one year, replaced without issue. Now waiting until Aug so we can get her a 3gs.

12. Surrix macrumors regular

Interesting. Not the case with my 2G.

13. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Unless your Apple warranty had less than 90 days when you received a replacement, then your warranty is technically extended up to 90 days. It is 90 days or remaining of Apple Care, which ever is longer.

14. andrewsd macrumors 6502

90 days

I received a replacement 3G and the genius told me that the phone was only under warranty for 90 days and not the 7 months I had on my original 1 year warranty. I decided to call apple and they took care of it for me, so don't always believe those so called part timer "geniuses"

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think if you're out of warranty and you delayed acting on the defects in a timely manner you're out of luck. While I can understand people being too busy at times, but you need to expect to address the issue before the warranty expires.

I'd have to say that with my wild speculation that if you brought the phone to an apple store they'd tell you you're SOL and have to pay for any repair.

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It sounds as though you are concerned about the cracking, but the real
    issue is about it dropping calls where you live. Sounds as though it works alright in general. Service always varies and there are places where your phone probably works better than Verizon.

But it won't hurt to talk to the Genius-just be very clear about what the problem really is.