How likely is Apple Store to have replacement optical drive in stock?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NJRonbo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Have a 2009 27" iMac.

The optical drive has been acting really crazy for the past year. It hates certain blank discs and I find myself having to switch brands and then remarkably, switch back again when the drive becomes fussy.

This week, the drive started eating my blank discs. I would insert a DVD-R and upon hitting eject, the mechanisms would go into motion, but the disc would not come out. Happened with several more discs.

In a way, it's good news for me. I need a new optical drive and it's to the point where I know Apple will need to replace it.

I have Apple Care. Called Apple they had me reset the PRAM. That did not work. I now have an appointment to bring my iMac into the Genius Bar where I am hoping they will give me a new drive.

Do they usually have replacement optical drives in stock that I can walk in there, wait about a half hour, and walk out with a brand-new installed drive?

2. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I took my MBA in to Apple due to a faulty SuperDrive (major noisy and didn't read many discs). They had a couple of replacement drives there in stock but had to keep the MBA overnight to install.

3. thankins macrumors 6502

When did the MBAs get super drives?

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Why not ask Apple? They're more likely to know than anyone here!

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I would doubt it, man. Even if they do have them, you're unlikely to be the only one waiting for a repair, and opening a 27" iMac and doing a job well probably isn't something that's likely to be done in 30 minutes.