How likely is it 6S will still have 1GB RAM?

AverageBob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Strongly considering buying the 6 right now but I'm not in a rush. Is it possible Apple will keep 6S at 1GB RAM? Also what do you think about the camera? Do you think they'll add megapixels or keep it at 8MP but improve it internally similar to this year? Thanks.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Pretty sure this has been discussed already.... multiple threads. The search feature is your friend.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
There's no possible way anyone can make anything but a wild guess. The 6 hasn't even officially launched in some timezones, how can you expect anyone to have worthwhile speculations on the next model?

AverageBob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
There's no possible way anyone can make anything but a wild guess. The 6 hasn't even officially launched in some timezones, how can you expect anyone to have worthwhile speculations on the next model?
It might be possible to make educated predictions. For example, if I'm not mistaken, they've never increased the PPI for the screen on S models.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Apple is actually going to put less RAM into the 6s. Their driving goal is profits, so why the hell not?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2009
No chance, like 0%, that next year's phone will be 1GB. Especially for the "S" model.

See how much people are clamoring over more RAM this year? But everything else about their phone is amazing? This is how Apple will get them to upgrade next year instead of in 2 years.

AverageBob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
No chance, like 0%, that next year's phone will be 1GB. Especially for the "S" model.

See how much people are clamoring over more RAM this year? But everything else about their phone is amazing? This is how Apple will get them to upgrade next year instead of in 2 years.
Yea that's what I'm afraid of. I buy the 6 this year and next year they add ram and remove the lines on the back :p

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Buy your iphone now why wait.

I am sure the iphone 6S will have more memory, more procesor speed, more of everything.

Always the S version is a lot better, but why wait, buy it today and later you can sell your iphone.

I am sure that the iphone 6 is going to work very good with 1G of RAM, apple always sells good products, they could not sell an iphone that was too slow with 1G RAM

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
It might be possible to make educated predictions. For example, if I'm not mistaken, they've never increased the PPI for the screen on S models.
Most people's "educated prediction" was that the 6 and/or 6+ would have more RAM because they've never gone so long without increasing it.

All the speculation is pointless, and I think it detracts from people's enjoyment of the phone they have now, or will have very soon. We're always worrying about if the next one will be better.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Most people's "educated prediction" was that the 6 and/or 6+ would have more RAM because they've never gone so long without increasing it.

All the speculation is pointless, and I think it detracts from people's enjoyment of the phone they have now, or will have very soon. We're always worrying about if the next one will be better.
I agree. We have several more weeks of light leakage, hot batteries and gamut issues to deal with. No sense adding RAM for a model that's not out yet to the mix. Wait at least two weeks to bring it back up. The zombies should be calmer by then.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Why people is so worried about the ram if the ipad air with a bigger screen works great with 1GB?

Looking at past models like the iphone 4 and 4S they have the same RAM, also with the iphone 5

Why people is so worried about the RAM I don't understand. What apps or what you use that needs more than 1GB of RAM, remember that more ram will use more battery

AverageBob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
You then sell your 6 and buy a 6S. Easy.
In a perfect world I'd do that but I don't have unlimited funds and time. I agree with what you've said below. It's an endless cycle. It's RAM for the 6 now but when the 6S comes out, I'd again be hesitant to buy because iPhone 7 will come out the next year with a new design and form factor.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
6s will probably be 2GB.

The "whole number" update is mostly about physical design. The "s" update is about increasing performance.

Notice that the 6 isn't much faster than the 5s, yet the 5s was MUCH faster than the 5.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
6s will probably be 2GB.

The "whole number" update is mostly about physical design. The "s" update is about increasing performance.

Notice that the 6 isn't much faster than the 5s, yet the 5s was MUCH faster than the 5.
And 5 was much faster than 4s ...:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.