How likely is it that the 2017 MacBook Pro has heating issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubby208, May 27, 2017.

1. cubby208 macrumors newbie

cubby208

I am a bit worried about this because it sounds like they are upgrading the specs without changing the external design (I suppose they will probably change the internal design as well).

Could it end up having worse heat management then previous MacBooks?

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It's gonna be hotter than the Ruth Cris grill they cook ribeyes on! More heat than the carbon-carbon tiles on the Space Shuttle can withstand!

But seriously, the 2016 MBP does an excellent job with thermal management (presumably leaving considerable margin for growth), and CPUs/GPUs are becoming increasingly power efficient...

3. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Agreed. I have the non-touch bar 13", but the fan on my machine almost never turns on under normal usage. Really impressive.

4. leman macrumors 604

Can you elaborate? Do you know something that we don't?

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Never had any heat issues on my MBP,and the fan rarely starts. Of course,mine never been used in direct sunlight or overheated rooms. With 19 to 22 degrees centigrade,and good air circulation around it,heat is not a problem.

6. entropi macrumors 6502

^ The fan is actually always on, it just not that noticable when it is spinning below 2000 rpm... My mba11" fan is almost silent at its standard speed, 1200 rpm - but when it needs to be cooled the 6000 rpm speed is quite loud.

7. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Ok I see,but I don't notice it that often.

8. pmau macrumors 65816

Where do all the 2017 MacBook rumors originate from?
    Currently there's no indication Apple will update MacBooks.
    They need to sell the current ones.

The iMac and iPad will see updates, the 12" MacBook might.
    But probably not in any way you are dreaming of.

Apple has no need to change their update cycle because they keep selling last generation components at really high margins. They need to push iOS devices.

This is why the aggressive iPad marketing is happening.
    The iPhone 8 will sell anyways, because of the status symbol characteristic.

9. caramelpolice macrumors regular

Why would it?

They'll just be going from Skylake to Kaby Lake CPUs, which are a very minor performance upgrade on a very slightly more efficient process - meaning heat and power consumption will balance out to basically the same in the end with a slight performance gain.

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Upgrading doesn't always mean that it will use more power and then run hotter.

What is a normal usage? I have 13" TB model and some video sites get it becoming really warm and fans start singing.

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I think that's because the TB model has a faster processor that uses more power. The TDP of the base non-TB model is 15W while the TDP of the base TB is 28W. As far as I know, the non-TB MBP is the only model of MBP where the fans are off by default- the rest of the models have a set base speed.

For what it's worth, the fan in my machine spins up pretty easily if I'm using Windows at the time.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Don't worry, MacBook pros have always had overhearing issues :) it will be same same and depend on your usage. If your past MacBooks have been okay heat wise, so will the new one.

This also goes for iMacs. Something so thin....yeah heats up

13. William Payne macrumors 6502a

Cant be any worse than my HP pavilion dv6, I could roast marshmallows with that thing.