iPhone X How likely is the iPhone X to slowdown some with iOS 12?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, May 14, 2018.

1. Hieveryone, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I’m afraid it won’t be as snappy.

I usually update for security updates otherwise if I didn’t care I’d stay on current iOS bc it’s super snappy.

EDIT: I KNOW IT HAS A SUPER FAST PROCESSOR ETC but what I’m asking is that will it remain exactly the same speed?

I don’t even want a slight slow down tbh.

I’m just asking what your opinion is on what will happen.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Regardless, all iPhones will eventually slow down with iOS updates. There is no guarantee how iOS 12 will react with the iPhone X, but remember, the updates are also there to help safeguard your information from concerns like Spectre and Meltdown.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Right but my fear is that the next iPhone X will run iOS 12 faster than the current one bc the current one will slow down some with the update.

Thoughts?

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re over-worrying over nothing. Even if your iPhone X did slow down if you update to iOS 12 when it releases, would you really notice it based on how you’re using your iPhone? Perhaps not.

Also, Naturally the newest 2018 iPhone X will be faster the current iPhone 5.8 X, because it has new/faster processor. That’s generally how every iPhone has ever been.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

My question is,

Yes I agree a newer processor is faster

BUT

Will there be a speed difference if most of the tasks done on iOS are not processor intensive?

For example

Open calendar, browsing safari, loading YouTube videos, opening the camera app, and so on should be the same speed.

Maybe editing video on iPhone, sure that would be faster in the new iPhone bc better processor. But most basic stuff should be exactly the same snappiness right?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No doubt the newer iPhone WILL faster, it is called progress.

8. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

The 2018 Year iPhone X promises to be future proof for quite some days with a 4GB RAM, but there will come a day in time where all things will end !!:D The Apocalypse !!

9. Julienne macrumors member

Julienne

I can’t believe people are still paranoid about this supposedly planned obsolence from Apple.

10. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

11. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

It will slow down if Apple do not optimise the software. Apple tend not to optimise for anything older than the latest models. In same cases its barely noticeable but your priority should be security and features. Soon development on iOS 11 will cease once 11.4 is released and iOS 11 may only receive limited security updates afterwards.

12. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I’m new to Apple, but even I have seen it on here and other places. How many people have posted that ios11 “ruined” their 6/6s/7/7+? A ton. It’s only natural to be concerned. I personally will update my 8+ on day 1, but that’s just me. Some people need to come on here after a few weeks or a month to make sure it’s running perfect before they jump on.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

You know what they say about opinions...and basically personal experiences of different people with different devices.

Not much more to do than just wait and see what it will actually be like for you.

14. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

iOS 12 isn't going to cripple the X. iOS 11 works great on the iPhone 7 IMO, so I would anticipate the X will operate great on iOS 12.

15. Banglazed, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

If you care about security updates, you can sacrifice performance. However. performance wouldn’t decrease exponentially for newer devices. If you were to take 5S (2013) into consideration, after updating to iOS 11, speed and performance decrease. It’s not uncommon since ever major release of iOS pack a bunch of bug fixes, improvement, changes and new features that may require additional RAM or processor. However, the SE/6S are still running smoothly on iOS 11. Wouldn’t you imply the same for a windows laptop debut with Windows ME/XP to run Windows 10 won’t take a hit to performance without any upgrade to components? This isn’t called planned obsolescence but being outdated with advancing technology that continues to improve with speed, efficiency and lower power consumption.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well 12 is supposed to be a Snow Leopard type update which focuses on improving performance so it should be fine. I have a 6S running 11 with a new battery and it feels fine an snappy. The X will be fine in ios12.

17. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I just wonder.....how is it possible that people waste their time posting total nonsense :mad:

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I think some just seek attention. Kids are not like what we remembered. For some reason the do not seem to be able to make decisions anymore and seek approval.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If anything it should be more snappy. Certainly if IOS 12 is improve performance.