How likely is your iPad back getting scratched without cover?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seasurfer, Mar 24, 2012.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I am just tired of the cover...I want to use it without cover....so how likely it will be scratched?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. blarivee macrumors 6502

If you are careful, it is unlikely to get scratched. I don't use a back over myself. But if you take it to classes and everywhere then it's better to have back cover protection.

4. Aksta macrumors regular

If they use the same material on the back as the macs then it won't get scratched easily. On the bright side you won't be looking at the back for too long.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

"Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon!" :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist the Scotty reference from Star Trek!

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Your assertion is that it is not possible to be careful. I've had an iPhone 4 since release, I keep it in a slip case, but use it naked, and the phone is out-of-the-box pristine. My iPad, which I use naked, is also still perfect.

It IS possible to take care, if scratches bother you.:D

Now, about your grandmother...;)

7. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

I am not a big fan of cases for any of my devices, but for the iPad I still use a thin clear snap on case for the back. I know I would just be pissed at myself when I get a scratch knowing it could be prevented.

As for whether it will get scratched... Really just depends on how careful you are with it. At work we treat our demo unit iPads like toys. They are thrown in a drawer every night a d they hit, rub, and slide against metal on other devices. They have light scratches, but it's really crazy how acceptable they look considering they take a beating.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

LOL! I love that quote... :D

Yes, it is possible, but unlikely. I mean, considering how we use mobile devices, the percentage of people that will be careful enough ALL the time to not drop it or put it on a surface where it will scratch is low.

It is possible to be careful, and many people are. But the original question was how likely would it be that the iPad would get scratched. And given the odds, I still say very likely. I'd put money on it actually. :D

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

I had my iPad 2 for a year, used it every day without any cases or protectors and it didn't have one scratch on it when I sold it. I think cases usually cause more problems than they solve.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

110% likely ..... If you can live with the back of the device scratched up, then go without a cover, but be prepared for those scratches, cause as sure as eggs is eggs they are going to occur.

One cover I insist on is the rear shell....No marks on my 1, 2, and none on my 3 either.

----------

You use your iPad need? ..too much information...:D

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It's likely to get scratched. It's the same brushed aluminum of the Macs, which are not known for their scratch-proof-ness. I use a sleeve with my iPad, and I just place the iPad on top of the sleeve when in use. Never gets scratched, even after 2 years (original pre-ordered iPad).

12. batotman macrumors 6502

I'd say pretty likely. Everyone I know that doesn't use a case ranges from mild scratches to beat to hell. Of course, carrying it in a backpack with just a smart cover will usually result in beat to hell....lol.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sure the visual image of me using my iPad while in a naked state is quite disturbing.:eek:

I'm not the Adonis I used to be.:eek: :rolleyes:

I'll put my clothes on now...:p

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not covered my iPad screen from the first day the iPad 1 was introduced and with daily use have never scratched my screen. Then I have never dropped my iPhone either and some her do this daily.

Hate screen protectors.