How likely new Macbook Pro in WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colonel179, May 4, 2015.

1. colonel179 macrumors member

I am looking to buy a new Mac since my Early 2009 13" MacBook Pro is already agonizing and begging me to kill it to stop suffering.

The thing is that I don't know whether to buy one, or wait until they announce a new model, but how likely would that be?

Apple upgraded the 13 rMBP with the force touchpad, so I don't think that Apple would not upgrade the 15", specially since there are rumors that the new iPhones would come with the same technology. It would mean that the Watch, iPhone and Macs would have them, except for the 15" which is not very Apple-like.

That makes me wonder that they could announce a new model of the 15" (at the very least to finally add the force touchpad), but I actually think that they could even announce the 3 colors from the macbook.

All the speculation aside, I don't know what to do. I really need one. I wanted the 13" since mine is also 13", and it's nice that it comes with the force touchpad, but I am leaning towards the 15" because although I am not a power user, I am looking for a Mac that last at least five years, like my current one.

I'd appreciate any recommendations or thought about whether it's good idea or not to buy a macbook pro right now.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nobody can tell except Intel.

Apple couldn't release any 15" rMBPs yet because Intel couldn't come out with Broadwell-H. In fact, considering that Skylake is going to be on time, Broadwell-H may either have a very short life or get shelved entirely.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

How long it lasts will

Have little to do with the size and the processor and much more to do with your use case and how that changes over 5 years.

If your use is not going to leverage the extra cores and GPU power, and it doesn't look like thats going to change any time soon then get the 13 inch.

I don't see them announcing anything hardware wise at WWDC (maybe a new apple TV).

They will update the 15 inch whern the chips are available, be that broadwell or skylake. That could be next week or next year with current knowledge...

4. fa.ce macrumors 6502

Same boat ... Decision decision decision

I'm in the same situation.
    Coming from a 5 years old MBA just stolen :mad:
    I many times a day :) go to quite click the buy button on the new state_of_art 13 MBP. I'd like in fact to move to a better notebook using it for heavy photo purpose.
    The larger display (and better processor) for about 700 more euros intrigues me (considering the 5 years investiment).
    I'm not convinced though that a new redisign MBP will be released at the upcoming conference. Apple probably will update it with the same little new features just added to 13 series.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's a developers conference...

....not a hardware announcement. They will update when the chips are available. I don't expect a redesign til 2016 at the earliest (and I think Canonlake in 2017 is far more likely than next year for a redesign.)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the odds are pretty slim, WWDC is at the very beginning of June, and I don't think the quad core broadwell chips will be out by then.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

OP was about one being announced - when the first retina MBP was announced, it was at WWDC in 2012 with a few weeks delay iirc

8. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

I think they WILL announce the hardware update (redesign unlikely IMO) at WWDC 2015 for a few reasons:

1) Supply of 15" MBP has dwindled in the last week -- I can't find a single Apple Store or reseller that has the top tier MBP 15" in stock. Apple also removed most refurbished models from their online store as well. This usually happens when Apple is about to refresh a product line.

2) Force Touch is already in the 13" and I imagine Apple Marketing Dept is yelling in the ear of Engineering to get the specs together and make the two models comparable. I'm quite certain the lack of this new feature is cannibalizing their 15" sales as people wait for it to be included.

3) The release schedule for Broadwell quad core chips coincides with WWDC (it was stated as "mid-2015"). Intel has been delayed recently, so this isn't super reliable, but it's something. And Apple and Intel have a good relationship.

4) Apple has released hardware many times in the past at WWDC. Some people on here are saying they don't, but historically they've released plenty of hardware. Read here

I can already hear Tim Cook saying "this is the most powerful Macbook we've EVER created at Apple" lol

9. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Jony Ive: "And to make the sort of beauty and power this product holds, we had to rethink what a MacBook was... and could be. This is without a doubt the most elegant and beautiful MacBook Pro we have ever produced." ;)

*note I completely respect Mr. Cook and Mr. Ive, so this is in no way meant to bring offense in any way. :)

Kal.

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Without the chips, it's kinda pointless to announce a new version though.

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

It's unapologetically Broadwell.

12. TheNotoriousMAZ macrumors newbie

What do you use your current MBP for that makes it so agonizing? I was running a late 2008 15" MBP (with SSD and maxed out RAM) until a few weeks ago when the screen decided to become unglued to the metal assembly. With a fresh install of Yosemite and a new battery, it was running admirably. Would have gotten another year at least out of it if it weren't for the dangling screen.

If you're still on a HDD and less than 8GB RAM, I recommend upgrading that before considering a new model. My brand new 2015 rMBP is damn awesome, but it really isn't the leaps and bounds improvement I was expecting for a 6 years newer piece of hardware.

13. mashinhead macrumors 68020

What realistic/practical improvements can we expect with this Broadwell update?

I feel like in the past 2-3 years the updates have been very very insignificant.

I would personally like to see less frequent updates in favor of giant leaps, rather than piddly ones sooner. i.e., intel should lose the tick tock strategy and just go all tock.

14. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

That's debatable if it's worth doing. SSD, yes, RAM, not so much. You can make an external SSD that's great but the RAM is a sunk cost in a machine that's not worth much anymore.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

At the very least it will get the same upgrades the 13" did. If you're fine with that, just wait an see, but if you want the new Skylake chip it doesn't look like that will happen in time.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If Acer and Microsoft to name two, think they're going to have Skylake laptop CPU for Q3, and by Windows 10 launch, i'd say Intel's hand is slightly showing.

If they announced, but didn't ship immediately, it'd Osborne other manufacturers ' Skylake laptop sales a bit perhaps.

17. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

How are they going to have notebook CPUs in Q3 when the desktop variants won't hit until October?

18. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I wondered the same thing and I say wait. If you buy a new laptop now and Apple releases an update in September, you'll wish you waited.

That's my plan, and my mid 2012 non retina mbp is slow as hell. I think all non-SSD based macs are.

The reason Apple didn't give the 15'' a Force Touch trackpad yet, I believe, is because a spec update is imminent. There's no point in two updates within a few months.

So hold out a few months tops and it'll be well worth it.

19. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Let's hope AMD's new Zen CPU architecture really delivers and gives Intel a good kick in the arse.

The lack of competition in the high performance desktop/laptop space means the entire market is at the mercy of whatever Intel wants, and Intel has no reason to release or rush anything. There's no way the QC chips would be taking so long if AMD released processors that out-classed Haswell.

It really hits Mac users, because Apple won't touch the whole product if new CPUs aren't available regardless how outdated the rest of the Mac is. Intel could delay the next generation Quad Core CPUs until 2017 and Apple would STILL be using the same GTX 700M GPUs in Macs until 2017.