how likely next iMac will be a redesign?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by washburn, Oct 18, 2011.

1. washburn macrumors 6502

Hey

I've been wondering, Jonathan Ive is the guy whos in charge of the design...and they've updated the MacBook Air and next comes MacBook Pro and I'm guessing iMac has not been touched since the design team just does one thing at a time right? So it will be a while since we see a new iMac...also it seems like Apple is more focused on their other products, and the Macs are not that important at the moment...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows. These kinds of questions are pointless.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I guess the next logical question is: What could they possible rebuild it as? The CPU is already now a part of the screen, how can it possibly be further condensed, apart from making it slimmer, lighter and with better specs (the first 2 aren't really that vital for a desktop).

I haven't the faintest idea, but then again, there is a reason why I am not the multi-billionaire owner of one of the world's most successful computer company...:p

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

They could change the size. There are a lot of people who would love to have the 24 inch iMac back, and who would love a 30 inch.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

As stated, nobody really knows, however looking back at the redesign cycle historically, this particular incarnation of iMac design has been with us for the longest period of time so a redesign would not be out of the question.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Count me as one of the people who'd love to see the 24 inch iMac back - I find the 27" a bit big and the 21.5" a bit small: The 24" was a perfect size and I don't really know why they dropped it :(

7. mwayne85 macrumors regular

I'm a guy that would love to see a chin-less iMac. One that looks more like a Thunderbolt display. But, I don't see it happening anytime soon. As someone mentioned, nobody knows except Apple.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

9. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I'd love a redesign, but I don't think we've had any rumors of this.

10. Dresevski macrumors 6502

At this point there will be rumors every time it comes around to its cycle. And, for the past couple there have been rumors of touchscreen integration

11. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

For future design, I would like to see:

- USB 3.0
    - Move SD card slot to other side of the screen. No more accidentally putting SD card into the CD/DVD slot.
    - Allow its chassis to be 1/2" deeper (thicker). With deeper chassis, they can then install better internal airflow (for better internal cooling).

IMO, Today's i7 processes is fast enough. Even the i5 processor is fast enough for the average home user. Current graphics cards for average home user is good enough as well.

And I also agree the 21.5" is slightly too small and the 27" is slightly too big. The 24" screen (in in previous iMacs) would be best sizing for average home user...

These are the H/W improvement items I'd like to see in the next design....

12. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

Why not offer 3 sizes, 21.5" (base) 24" (low and high choices) and 27" (high spec)

13. daftpunkstu macrumors member

Hmm i'm not sure on a redesing, probably spec increases. I quite like the current imac designs

14. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

i think its gonna be a redesign, probably different screen sizes and ivy bridge !!

15. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Hopefully a redesign. I think 27" is perfect for the larger screen size. I hope they keep that size as the flagship iMac.

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Yeah, I would like to see the SD on the other side. I doubt they will make it wider. I dont want a 24" if there is not a 21" because I dont have the room . Mayber a 20" 25" and a 30? I doubt we will see usb 3. IMO the current design is nice

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I actually like the chin, it's one great place to put stickies and other notes.

The only reason I'd take a redesign of the iMac is to make the darn thing even slightly expandable/user serviceable. I don't mean as much as a tower, but at least the HDDs and an express card slot would make it far more useful for those that want power and expansion without the $3000 price tag of a Mac Pro.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I imagine the sizes are partially related to what components they intend to use, and also related to price justification. 27" panels are quite expensive so they help leverage the price, and Apple wants to maintain a strong differentiation from their laptops in performance and screen real estate.

Apple is super obsessed with making things thin and quiet, but it really doesn't cut down on the consumption of desk space when they reduce its thickness. The only thing that would truly annoy me there is if it impacts component choices. One thing is Apple uses mobile gpus in the imac due to size and wattage. This can affect manufacturing cost as they are more expensive relative to desktop cards of similar performance. I imagine in their current choices it was mostly about size as they picked one with a TDP of 75-100W according to what I could find on google (and I checked a few sites). :cool:

Really if Apple put out an imac that could safely run with maxed cpus for hours at a time without any long term heat concerns along with slightly improved quality control on their display panels (which is more on the LG end) I'd be very interested in one. What sucks for me is that they get really really hot, and it worries me running them to the max.

To a degree the underlying issue is that the imac is technically a consumer device that's leveraged into light professional use. Being a consumer device Apple tends to optimize to a large degree around aesthetics and acoustics. It just makes it difficult to trust such a machine to hold up under heavy use for up to two to three years. Some refreshes are better than others so I never assume it'll be a new machine every second year.