How likely the Speck's SeeThru scratches the MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello,

I just bought the santa rosa MacBook Pro 17".
    I heard from some people that rather than protecting
    the mac, it scratches the machine.

How likely does this happen?
    Is there any other hard case from other company
    that reall protects that MBP?

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My Speck Products See-Thru case doesn't scratch my MacBook Pro at all. It does an excellent job of protecting it though.

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I don't personally have one, though I've considered one. Potentially, dust particles could get under the Speck case and rub against the MacBook. This is what I've read in a few stories and reviews, and it makes sense, so I'm wary about buying one myself.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Assuming that the MBP is in the bag and there is a
    particle falling from the top of the laptop compartment.

If the particle gets into the SeeThru, it has a higher
    chance to stay there and causes more scratches.
    Without the SeeThru, it just falls to the bottom of
    the compartment. So, it is better without the SeeThru.
    Am I right?

This leads to the question of how easy it is for
    a particle (which could scratch the laptop)
    to get inside the gap between the MBP and the
    SeeThru case. Any idea?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is almost no gap between the speck case and the MacBook Pro. The time when you're most likely to get dust or dirt on the speck case is when you're originally putting the speck case on the MacBook Pro. But really, the speck case has not scratched my MacBook Pro and it is great at protecting it.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

It all depends on how well the Speck case fits the MBP. I had to try out four, before I found one that managed to clip on my MBP SR properly. There was a problem with the right side where the clip was about 1-2mm below the edge of the MBP and left a similar sized gap between the case and side of the laptop. Plenty of room for grit to get in.

The Speck cases had the green logo on the sleeve wrap (the one that said Macbook Pro 15"). I finally found some old stock with a red logo that is almost a perfect fit. I think Speck have sent out some faulty batches.

The faulty batches were all at Microanvika - in London and Manchester. Staff there tried the cases on their own stock, both SR and C2D with the same results, so it was not the fault of my MBP. I finally found the old stock at an Applestore. Apple in the UK charges £5 above RRP. Not cool. :(

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Speck advise that you give the cases a good clean regularly - from what I've read in terms of user feedback, although it's obviously not going to be great when dirt gets in, the real probelm (in term of scratching) comes when you just allow it to build up within the case.

I was interested to read what weckart had to say as I assumed this was more of a problem with MBs rather than Pros.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

i bought mine and sold it a day later it was scratching bad.... much better protection with macstyles.com