All iPads How likely we'll get an iPad re-design in 2018?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clukas, Jun 13, 2017.

?

How likely we'll get an iPhone 8 style iPad re-design in 2018?

1. Likely

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Unlikely

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Probably after 2018

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

So I know this is really early and only speculation, but Im curious about what people think. So we know there is a very likely major re-design coming to the iPhone in September. Apple this year introduced a new form factor iPad Pro 10.5" and Apple tends to milk its designs as long as they can, and for apple I bet they count the 10.5" as a new design. So how likely do you think it is that we will see an iPhone 8 style iPad/ iPad Pro re-design?

[​IMG]
    Slightly exaggerated re-design :p

2. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

3. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I have come to terms with skipping the 10.5" Pro for those very reasons. Also the fact that Apple is ditching the Home Button, so I'll buy a New iPad One they ditch the home button, that will be a game changer.

Also Apple is transitioning to OLED, so I can see them Having a 10.5" iPad Pro with No Home Button that is thinner and smaller than the current 10.5" Pro.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Apple just updated the 9.7 to the 10.5 so I think it will stay the same for a few years. Maybe a new bell or whistle but nothing major. The 12.9 might get an upgrade but I am betting it will be mostly software for a few years.

5. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I voted unlikely but then I started thinking that fall 2018 sounds realistic. When looking at Wikipedia Apple has released at least one new tablet each year since the iPad was introduced. At bare minimum maybe we will see a redesigned mini in 2018.

But I think we can all say that the new Pro's will be top dog for at least 12 months.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

6. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I think they will do a redesign once OLED and 3D touch are both ready. I am anticipating WWDC 2019.

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Didn't take long for the bezel police to call.

8. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

I still wonder whether Ming Chi Kuo's prediction of a revolutionary design in 2018 will hold up. I bet a complete re-design would do wonders to declining iPad sales.

9. augustya, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Do you guys think that the 10.5" screen size will stay for a couple of years or Apple will soon shift to a different screen size ?

10. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I voted unlikely until after 2018. I believe that Apple will wait until OLED displays or MicroLED displays are mature enough for use in the iPad. Once that happens I can see a complete redesign similar to the iPhone 8 where they will remove as much of the bezel as possible and integrate Touch ID into the display.

What I can see in 2018 is apple refreshing the design slightly to remove the chamfered edges and adding in the more curved design introduced with the iphone 6. (curved sides with 2.5D glass)

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apple is completely unpredictable. They could abandon the 10.5 template at the next iPad update or retain For years as they did the 9.7. That said, I'm not worrying about what Apple will do, I'm going to enjoy what they released currently and use it to its full potential.