How likely will the Apple Store be to swap my 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CAWjr, Oct 13, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

So I get my 4S tomorrow. My Black 32GB 3GS has been well loved without a case since launch day. It has some chatter on the back, a slight crack in the plastic, and a scratch on the glass, but it is 100% functionally sound. One thing that has always bothered me, but not enough for me to raise it as an issue, is that on the screen there is a line about a half inch from the top that is like a burned in line. It is brighter than the rest of the screen & it is almost always noticeable. it is not dead pixels or anything, it almost looks like burn in on a TV.

Anyway, I was curious if I set up an appointment at an Apple store, how likely are they to swap the phone out because of this burn in issue? Would they swap it out for a cost? Are they completely out of 3GS phones in the 32GB size?

I want to give the phone to a family member & I would like to give them a newer one rather than my beat up one.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Do you have AppleCare? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't switch it for you. :)

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think they will have some on hand and give you one. You would want to call ahead before bringing it in though because from what I remember of the launch of the iPad and iPad 2 is that they weren't taking Genius appointments on a major product launch day. They actually turned away people who brought stuff in and told them to come back later/tomorrow.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If he has an appointment for tomorrow, then they should honor it.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

With no Applecare I can't see that they'd swap it for you for free. If this has always been an issue, you should have taken care of it before your phone was off warranty. You might be able to get one at out of warranty prices, but it's hard to tell if they'd have a 32GB on hand or not.

7. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Thanks everyone. I was hoping for a free swap, but not expecting one. I was just curious what other people's experiences have been. I have never had Apple Care on the phone, so it is well out of warranty.

And thanks for the link to the replacement pricing. That's really what I was hoping to see. Any chance they drop those prices now that the 3GS is 2 generations old?

8. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Without Apple care they won't do anything. I went in a couple weeks ago because my 3GS isn't charging properly. I keep getting an error saying "Charing is not supported with the accessory" even with the official Apple charger and everything. He looked at it and kind of 'cleaned' the charging port but other than that he said they wouldn't do anything.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Unlikely, they just dropped the iPhone 4 down to $149 so if they were going to do something for the 3GS they probably would have done so at the same time.

10. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

What's the 3GS going for on the market? Would it be worth the $150 replacement cost to get a new one?