How "Locked" is a Locked iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knolly, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

To better explain my question, let me give you a situation...

I have an iPhone 3G I bought in the US. Is that ONLY locked to AT&T, or is it locked to ANY legit iPhone carrier?

Like, could I take it to the UK and activate it with Vodafone or whoever?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

2. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

if you purchase a iphone in a specific area it is locked to the carrier that is in that counrty.

usa - at&t
    uk - vodafone

etc...

that is of course you dont jailbreak and unlock it...then you can use it with any carrier.

enjoy

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

4. kevo0822 macrumors regular

The iPhone is locked to whichever carrier you buy it from (AT&T in the US...). Also, at this point, I don't think the iPhone 3G can be unlocked... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

The real question is, will they keep the phones locked to the carriers once the exclusivity agreement is over?

6. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

As one poster commented in another thread "The iPhone is the North korea of cell phones." or something like that.

7. stewartlittle macrumors regular

So my question is, I am taking a iphone 3g, that i bought from someone here in canada, who was on rogers, but now i just use it as a itouch for now. When i head to australia, will one of the carriers there, unlock it for me, to use with their networks, since they have the ability to unlock phones there?

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

No, because they don't have an unlock for the 3G iPhone. It's not a matter of them having the option, there's just no software to do it.

9. stewartlittle macrumors regular

in Australia do they not have an 80 dollar unlock for people who buy the phone from them outright

10. someguy7014 macrumors member

You have no idea what you are talking about. Optus DOES unlock the iPhone 3g. I have one. Unlocked. Any simcard from any carrier from any country in the world will work in it.

11. stewartlittle macrumors regular

Thanks someguy7014. So to my question is still can I bring a canadian iPhone and unlock it with optus or whoever to use it there. Will they do that

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Not likely. I think that a network is only authorized to remove their own simlocks through official Apple-sanctioned channels, not the simlocks from other networks. Since Rogers sold that iPhone, Rogers would be the only carrier with the authority to remove the simlock. Rogers' policy is that in general they don't remove simlocks on any of their phones.

13. jdmstar macrumors member

Depends on where you purchase the phone.

If in a locked country the phone is locked to whatever carrier supplies it. There is no way around it since there is an instore activation.

The only way to truly get an unlocked IPHONe you can purcahse one from a country who doesnt lock it down by carrier.

Hong Kong, France, Italy etc. I think Japan as well.

The new iphone 3g in america can be jailbroken to add 3rd party apps but cant be unlocked to use other carriers.

14. stewartlittle macrumors regular

So i guess my only options are to either sell it here, and buy over there, or just pray to the dev gods to get an unlock before then..